Honored Contributor

Re: Tuition-free medical school

I don't think there is any chance there are going to be slackers in this program just because it's free.  I don't see anywhere in the article where it says anyone can now get in and it's paid for.  You still have to be accepted into the program and you have to pass your classes. 

I would venture to guess there are a lot of very, very smart people who don't bother attempting medical school because it's cost prohibitive.  This will be a godsend to those students. 

I can only imagine the loans some of these students must graduate with.  I know someone who went to be a nurse practitioner and from there went on to law school.  The amount of debt he is in is staggering.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think that the housing cost referenced in the article is $29,000.  NYU owns several apartment buildings in Manhattan dedicated to medical students, so for a studio in Manhattan, the cost is not unreasonable; they are more like apartments with kitchens, not the traditional dormitory, although I think they can be shared.

NYU has the same selection process as any major medical school.  Undergraduate grades point averages are considered of course, as are the standardized medical school test, letters of recommendation, any work experience, personal essays, etc.  That's the first stage of application; next there are interviews before a candidate is accepted.  So, having a 4.0 in microbiology isn't an immediate entree.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I think that the housing cost referenced in the article is $29,000.  NYU owns several apartment buildings in Manhattan dedicated to medical students, so for a studio in Manhattan, the cost is not unreasonable; they are more like apartments with kitchens, not the traditional dormitory, although I think they can be shared.

NYU has the same selection process as any major medical school.  Undergraduate grades point averages are considered of course, as are the standardized medical school test, letters of recommendation, any work experience, personal essays, etc.  That's the first stage of application; next there are interviews before a candidate is accepted.  So, having a 4.0 in microbiology isn't an immediate entree.

Absolutely right! I happened to be at NYU Langome Medical Center for surgery yesterday and this was the topic everyone was talking about. There is no change in the admission process or the criteria for entry into the program. The hospital itself is enormous and has is like 3 hospitals in one. The care is outstanding and reputation impeccable. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I was just reading an article on facebook by WQED  TV in Pittsburgh about how the Allegheny Community College has a program for  people to get an AD in verious medical fields like RN, LPN, pharmacy tech, and a bunch of others and the tuition is free for low income individuals. However, the program is not being used. The people giving the money for the grant to pay the tuitions are saying if they don't enroll anyone this coming semester they are pulling the grant. WQED is advertizing this in hopes that people will hear about it and apply for it.

Honored Contributor

Back in the day, only the wealthy had the money for medical school and with many, it was a family business. I know my doctor's parents paid for all his schooling and he's only in his 40's. I think young people who are very talented should not be shut out of the profession just because they can't afford it or do not want to be tied down by a life time of debt.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I was just reading an article on facebook by WQED  TV in Pittsburgh about how the Allegheny Community College has a program for  people to get an AD in verious medical fields like RN, LPN, pharmacy tech, and a bunch of others and the tuition is free for low income individuals. However, the program is not being used. The people giving the money for the grant to pay the tuitions are saying if they don't enroll anyone this coming semester they are pulling the grant. WQED is advertizing this in hopes that people will hear about it and apply for it.

Is it possible the college isn't doing enough to recruit students in high school?

Here in central Alabama, the high schools, the tech schools & local industry all work together to be sure there is a skilled labor pool-whether it's manufacturing or medical

My DD just graduated from a tech school, pharm tech.    I don't know the details but she got a scholarship/grant that paid only half her tuition.    She's about as low income as they come!   Too bad she didn't live near  Allegheny.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

why not also distribute some of money to some recent graduates who are buried in debt? 

delighted this is private money.

also suggest that all work on getting these staggering tuition bills down - across the board .  from what i see in terms of recent graduates parents have not been getting their money's worth - prices up, quality down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Is it possible the college isn't doing enough to recruit students in high school?

Here in central Alabama, the high schools, the tech schools & local industry all work together to be sure there is a skilled labor pool-whether it's manufacturing or medical

My DD just graduated from a tech school, pharm tech.    I don't know the details but she got a scholarship/grant that paid only half her tuition.    She's about as low income as they come!   Too bad she didn't live near  Allegheny.

If you live within the city limits in Pittsburgh there is a program called the Pittsburgh Promise  where any student who graduates from a City of Pittsburgh high school with at least a B average can attend the University of Pittsburgh for free. It is paid for by the University of Pittsburgh medical center. I think more kids are taking advantage of this program - to get a bachlors degree. People are selling their suburban homes and moving into the city so their kids can take advantage of this program.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I think this is fabulous!  However, I think that it should come with some sort of required work.  I believe that the students should be required to put in two years work in areas of the country that do not have adequate medical care (like a lot of rural areas) in exchange. 

That would certainly be eye opening wouldn't it?  I wonder how many would opt to pay for their own education?  I am betting most would.  

Honored Contributor

Some PhD degrees don't require a brilliant mind; they require endurance through a dissertation