Honored Contributor

Tub and shower enclosure remodel!

We met with a contractor today to go over a bid for a bathroom shower and tub tear out and the tear out and redo in the master bathroom.  No new cabinetery just the shower area is being worked on, plus the other elements needed, shower heads, etc.

It was $8,000 for my bath and $7,000 for the master bath. The master bath is quite small.

We are a little taken aback with the price.  Both showers (and tub in my bath) would come out and they would install panels to rebuild the shower walls.  My bath would also have the tub replaced, no door on my shower but the master would have a shower door.

House was built in the 70's and the current enclosures are fiberglass they have aged and we wanted to upgrade....we knew it was going to be expensive but $15,000 for just showers and a tub just seem high.

Tomorrow we are getting a 2nd bid....

Honored Contributor

Re: Tub and shower enclosure remodel!

Have you priced materials?

When I'm trying to estimate a job, I figure the cost of materials x2.

Rough estimate.

Ask for an itemized estimate

Honored Contributor

@software  we were a little surprised that the bid did not include costs of the materials.  It listed what they would be doing but not the cost of each item.

It's  a 3 day job.  We are hoping the next bid comes in less.  I really wanted this done but not sure now.

Regular Contributor

We just had our master tub removed, a tiny shower converted to a closet and a shower installed where tub used to be, toilet replaced.  Also had walls and ceiling textured, ceiling painted, doorway installed between vanity area and shower/toilet.  His price for labor, closet doors, shelving for closet, paint was $6,160.

We had to supply tile, light fixtures, new toilet, faucets, etc., which was about $1,700, so our total was approximately $8,000.

It sounds like our redo was more extensive than yours.  You might want to get a second estimate.  We did that and price was close but contractor we chose was in and out in 6 full workdays.  The other was a few hundred more and 2 weeks from start to finish.

Best wishes on your update!  The 6 days were hard, but we are really happy with results.

Honored Contributor

the cost doesn't sound too high compared to what we paid to redo two of our downstairs bath; now we are ready to do the upstairs bath and the prices have almost doubled from four years ago
putting in one of the drop-in bathtub surrounds is less hassle and demo but it does not help the value of your home; in fact, in my neighborhood, it would hurt resell pricing

you can lower your cost by choosing less expensive materials and fixtures; fixtures vary widely in price; Home Depot is the low end and plumbing showrooms are the high end. Nothing is inexpensive anymore!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It also depends on what area of the country you live in.  It sound high to me, you're not remodeling the entire bathrooms. I always get no less than three estimates and inform them that we're doing that.  Please remember to check with your local or state gov't for their licenses etc.and be sure they're insured too.  Check recent references also. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs   Hi - have you considered "bath fitter" instead of tearing out the tub(s).... We did it in one of the bathrooms and don't regret it... It took a few hours and voila, we have a brand new tub.  No muss,no fuss, no bother.  They put an acrylic "cover" over the existing tub and it's brand new again.... Oh, and a lifetime warranty.  A pleasure to deal with too.  

I would do it again in a heartbeat - just the thought of tearing out the tub and the mess, not to mention the cost.........

Look it up and see if it suits you....

ETA:  I just looked it up and apparently, Home Depot does it too.  I would certainly get an estimate from them before spending a fortune and having a mess to boot...... HTH  They do showers and entire bathrooms also....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

in 1994 we had a complete kitchen remodel. the only item we saved was fridge.  it was 10,000 .  today that same kitchen is 65,000.  i have a small bath upstairs. 7 years ago we paid 14,000 out the door.  high end fixtures and toilet, but it is small. everything  is really expensive, especially the last 5 years. we were shocked then at the price and we had 4 bids. i was thinking at the time, oh we can get a really nice bath for 5,000.....labor alone was that much.

we put off replacing our furnace and getting ac installed, as we didnt have AC at all.  .  5 years ago we had a quote of 12,000.  top of line heater and a huge trane ac unit, ducts replaced and removal of asbestos.  well life got in our way and we didnt  do it then. . fast forward to august 2018.  we said we are going to do it this time! we did only. it was 20,000!  it went up 8000 in 5 years

my advice to those sitting on the fence.  do it now if you are able.  costs will get igher next year.  up to 14% higher.

Respected Contributor

After being in my house for 20 years, my acrylic tub insert has lost its luster due to bad water and looks yucky. Nothing will make it look good again. We had two estimates to tear out the insert and do a modern walk in shower, without a door. Now I have small bathrooms, so it would be a small shower. You guys are spot on with estimates...one was $6500 and the other $7800. We almost choked.  So after we caught our breath, we decided it wasnt worth it to us. Decided to have it sanded down and reglazed next week...both tubs. One shower they will do one day and the other a few days later. Total cost for both...$1200.  A bit easier to swallow.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Guess it pays to do the work yourself. We did our main bath 8 yrs ago.

We had the tub surround removed, new tub, shower tile, new shower, sink, tp fixtures, lights, mirror, paint. We already had tile floors. I don't remember exact cost but it was around $2000.