Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to find the Covid vaccine

@50Mickey wrote:

@gidgetgh   I live in Cherokee county. I don't know how anyone got an appointment. The hotline # stays continuously busy or is just dead silence when you call. The online sign up never came to fruition. And the health Department is no help. Until the vaccine becomes more widely available it is just sheer luck if you got an appointment. This was a terrible idea to make the vaccine available only through the individual health departments and to everyone over 65. Some of the larger counties are having mass drive through vaccinations. You register online fill out the consent form, show up get the shot wait for the required time and then leave. 

@50Mickey - it was a mess and I don't see it getting better any time soon.  I spent the entire day yesterday, on and off, chasing appointments with every place that people were suggesting.  I'm in Cobb and the Cobb Douglas website crashed the very nanosecond they activated it at midnight.  I tried starting at 3 AM. 

Late afternoon, after at least getting my Name in at Kaiser (and I don't have a Kaiser insurance) a friend texted me, told me the health dept website was back up and to hurry.  I had no luck on my Mac and immediately gave up on that and switched to my iPad, just kept refreshing, at least 75 times, and then, all of a sudden the calendar popped up.  I clicked on a random day and time as my schedule is open and typed as fast as I could and clicked on "book it" and got the confirmation email.  

Hopefully all will run smoothly later this week when I head out to Jim Miller Park, wherever that is.  I don't live close to there. 

And then start the entire appointment hunt process all over again, to get the second dose.

Seriously, they did a horrible job rolling this out.  Horrible.  There is enough angst and fear with this virus.  There shouldn't be angst trying to find the vaccine. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh   The good news is - from what everyone is saying - is that they make the second appointment for you when you get the 1st shot.  So you should be good.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@gidgetgh   The good news is - from what everyone is saying - is that they make the second appointment for you when you get the 1st shot.  So you should be good.

@Isobel Archer -I hope that's true.  That's not what I'm hearing here.  But again, they have given us virtually zero information.  No guidance. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach   My neighbor is 72 I believe. She called Kaiser last week and got scheduled I think for today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

@Suziepeach   My neighbor is 72 I believe. She called Kaiser last week and got scheduled I think for today.

Thanks for that @50Mickey , as I said before, we haven't heard anything.

But I did let our PCP know we'd be getting ours from our local health department (this was this morning) plus the Kaiser info line didn't say anything about shots being given.. Hmmm

So will just go with our original appointments and hope to hear back from our PCP..  I called Kaiser last week and they didn't know anything about when the vaccinations would start.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@gidgetgh   I live in Cherokee county. I don't know how anyone got an appointment. The hotline # stays continuously busy or is just dead silence when you call. The online sign up never came to fruition. And the health Department is no help. Until the vaccine becomes more widely available it is just sheer luck if you got an appointment. This was a terrible idea to make the vaccine available only through the individual health departments and to everyone over 65. Some of the larger counties are having mass drive through vaccinations. You register online fill out the consent form, show up get the shot wait for the required time and then leave. 

@50Mickey - it was a mess and I don't see it getting better any time soon.  I spent the entire day yesterday, on and off, chasing appointments with every place that people were suggesting.  I'm in Cobb and the Cobb Douglas website crashed the very nanosecond they activated it at midnight.  I tried starting at 3 AM. 

Late afternoon, after at least getting my Name in at Kaiser (and I don't have a Kaiser insurance) a friend texted me, told me the health dept website was back up and to hurry.  I had no luck on my Mac and immediately gave up on that and switched to my iPad, just kept refreshing, at least 75 times, and then, all of a sudden the calendar popped up.  I clicked on a random day and time as my schedule is open and typed as fast as I could and clicked on "book it" and got the confirmation email.  

Hopefully all will run smoothly later this week when I head out to Jim Miller Park, wherever that is.  I don't live close to there. 

And then start the entire appointment hunt process all over again, to get the second dose.

Seriously, they did a horrible job rolling this out.  Horrible.  There is enough angst and fear with this virus.  There shouldn't be angst trying to find the vaccine. 

@gidgetgh, I wonder how you can you get your name in at Kaiser if you are not a member.  I'm glad for you, ever though you are getting it elsewhere. But as Kaiser members here in California, I hope that we at least have precendence.

This is totally not a criticism but just a question that maybe someone could answer who is familiar with Kaiser's policy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I tried every option available to me in an effort to reserve a shot for me and DH. The only option is to do it online but it must be on a laptop or a desktop and NO ANDROIDS(Health Department said that's what they've heard).  I actually managed to get hold of a real human at my Representatives Office and I shared that plus the no tablet thing.  I truly believe that a twenty something Ivy League grad (because they are so smart...) set this up and thinks everybody uses an Apple ( where the laptop, desktop came from, I'm not sure).  I'm done even trying for the 100 shots my only city clinic is offering this week!

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh  I don't think GA is the most disorganized, WA has to take the cake!  I have been in contact with the Govenors Office, and we have distributed 16% of the vaccines allocated to us.  There is NO schedule beyond that.  I have talked to the Health Department, my State Representative's office, and as well as the County Supervisor and My Dr.s office. Business are in lockdown because we contunue to have reported cases (zero regular flu though, isn't that interesting).  Wouldn't it be logical to vaccine as many people as possible if you WANTED to bring the numbers down?  

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I can imagine the system did crash, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

In NC we haven't gotten to the 65 age group yet.

You are lucky, in my state you have to be 75.  Doesn't matter if you are high risk or not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Montana's 1b has been expanded to include people 70 and over and high risk folks. I think 70 makes more sense than 75. And 65 is even better.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr