Respected Contributor

There have been a lot of trunk or treats around and I am wondering if others have enjoyed?  I am under impression that an organization sponsors and then families come and distribute goodies from trunk.  I think in daytime hours this is great because kids get to see others in their costumes.  Gets mileage out of costume purchase.  Nice way to gather.

I do wonder if this is candy overload?  Do families then distribute the excess on Halloween?  I noticed shelves pretty empty of candy today at Target.

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

There have been a lot of trunk or treats around and I am wondering if others have enjoyed?  I am under impression that an organization sponsors and then families come and distribute goodies from trunk.  I think in daytime hours this is great because kids get to see others in their costumes.  Gets mileage out of costume purchase.  Nice way to gather.

I do wonder if this is candy overload?  Do families then distribute the excess on Halloween?  I noticed shelves pretty empty of candy today at Target.

My family participated in Trunk or Treat instead of traditional trick or treating.  The neighborhood we lived in didn't have sidewalks and was not conducive to trick or treat.

Honored Contributor

Re: Trunk or Treat

[ Edited ]

My 9 year old niece went to Trunk or Treat Saturday afternoon.  She was a little red devil, her mom had a white angel costume.  She had a blast and came home with a lot of candy.  She doesn't eat candy, she only eats marshmallows and some types of lollipops, it's the experience she likes.  No such thing as candy overload on Halloween.  The holiday is all about silly costumes and candy.  Trick or treating at the mall tonight so more candy.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree 

So glad to hear that costumes are a highlight.  

Honored Contributor

"Trunk or Treat" is such a fantastic idea!!!!  It came into practice after our boys were too old to trick or treat.

I have passed parking lots where they were trunk or treating and it looked like SO much fun!"Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

They had this last week at my grand sons elem school, it was a lot of fun. 

Respected Contributor

My church has done a Fall Festival, including Trunk or Treat for many years...it's always a big hit! 

We don't have trick or treaters at home...too rural, long driveways, no streetlights...so DH and I started participating in Trunk or Treat at the church. All of us decorate our trunks or, in most cases, the cargo area of our SUV's and kids come from all over the community. Some years we have 600 or more! It's fun seeing them in their costumes, and most of the parents are very appreciative.

Honored Contributor

It out here that the stores in Malls would pass out candy.  Then, started other activities like Fall Festivals, Trunk or Treat, and Harvest Festival put on by different organizations.  From a parent's standpoint, it's probably safer for their kids.  Last year, I'm not even sure we got 1 trick or treater at the door.  I dropped off a couple of large bags of candy at my church for their Trunk or Treat.  Even the local semi-pro baseball stadium go in on the action with not only candy, but games and movies. 

Honored Contributor

Where are these festivities usually held? 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

I have seen them in school or church parking lots.  I imagine some clubs also sponsor.