Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

My church has done a Fall Festival, including Trunk or Treat for many years...it's always a big hit! 

We don't have trick or treaters at home...too rural, long driveways, no streetlights...so DH and I started participating in Trunk or Treat at the church. All of us decorate our trunks or, in most cases, the cargo area of our SUV's and kids come from all over the community. Some years we have 600 or more! It's fun seeing them in their costumes, and most of the parents are very appreciative.

@vermint 

Mine too.  We have opened it up to those less fortunate, to extend into the kitchen where there are pots of soup, chili, desserts, soft drinks, water and around the perimeter of several blocks there are trunks of treats for the children.  We ran out on Sunday as there were far more than we expected.  They came from 1:00 p.m. until 6 and we had planned to shut down at 4 but since there were still people, we stayed until we ran out of food and treats.

Trusted Contributor

@Twins Mom   We did them when the children were very young. I was a new mom, didn't know any other moms and it was via an organized playgroup  that we did this. We used a Church parking lot )with permission), decorated our trunk, had a little cookout, the children had a parade, we had little games for them and it was fantastic! We did this for a few years until one of us moved into a neighborhood that had LOTS of children as well as everyone now being older and able to handle all that walking and running without being carried or pushed.

Wonderful memories, safe environment and again, the children had a blast!!!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Most of my family members tonite stated they had very few trick or treaters.  I think the trunk or treat is the "new" norm.

I know my GD was disappointed because very few homes in their area had the lights on.  I certainly can understand this in these crazy times--I'm kinda glad she had only a few to go to. (Mostly friends houses).

The parents can decide how much candy is too much😉

Honored Contributor

DH and I worked at one at our church last night (Monday). I dressed as a scarecrow. We had over 300 kids and ran out of candy and toys. We haven't had one since the pandemic. I always have so much fun!  Smiley Happy

I put a bowl of candy out at home. 3/4 of it was left. There were no children around when we got home around 9.

Trusted Contributor

We have done Trunk or Treating several times and it can be a lot of fun.

They recently had one at my younger daughter's school.  They gave out both candy and small trinkets.

We participated in one the Halloween before Covid hit.  They made it a contest in which we decorated our cars/trunks.  There was a prize for the best one and we won!!!

They Trunk or Treating events we have participated in have been done a few weeks before Halloween Day, so we never felt like it was candy overload.  That being said, we didn't allow our kids to really eat all of that candy either.  We did save some to use as "extra" Halloween candy in case we ran out on Halloween Day. 

Respected Contributor

We're seniors but went to the T/T sponsored by local Prks and Rec in the park. It was a lot of fun to see all the costumes, visit with friends and neighbors. Mostly but not all the cars were from local organizetions like Rotary, the library.