Esteemed Contributor

i have harry&david truffles arriving week of 12/6....should i refrigerate....or not....until i am ready to give as christmas gifts......thank you...

Honored Contributor

@nana59    There may be instructions in the package but my first thought would be to NOT refrigerate them.  There may be condensation that can't evaporate when they're brought to room temperature and chocolate that's refrigerated can change color.  I never refrigerate chocolates. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

If you have any lock and lock put them in there. No fridge. Kachina is correct. The chocolate will change color.

Valued Contributor

I just bought truffles from Godiva and had the same question.  I looked at their FAQs and found this -- which is what I did:

To store chocolate for up to two months, place package in two plastic bags, close tightly and refrigerate. To store chocolate for up to six months, place package in two plastic bags, close tightly and freeze.

To bring them to room temperature:  Keep chocolates in plastic bags until the entire package comes to room temperature. This will take approximately two hours if it was stored in the refrigerator, six hours if it was stored in the freezer.

Honored Contributor

I would not.  Chocolate gets a white film over it if it's refrigerated.

Think of how long a bag of Lindor Truffles may sit on the shelf in the store and they're fine.

Esteemed Contributor

Call me dumb, but I have no idea what a "truffle" might be. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I would call H&D CS and ask them what to do. There is a phone number on their website and I'm sure it's on the package, too.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

hckynut 

I won't call you dumb because every time I see something about truffles I have to look up what it is! As far as I can tell there are 2 types of truffles:  chocolates and something akin to a mushroom that grows in the woods! 

happy0005.gif

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

hckynut 

@hckynutjohn, here ya go. Be dumb no more...just kidding!!! No one in their right mind would ever call you dumb. 

Harry & David (12) 6-Pc Gourmet Truffle Gift Boxes - M78605

Trusted Contributor

I do put chocolate in the refrigerator for myself. And usually a milky film forms. That's ok with me as I like some chocolates cold -- Hershey's with Almonds bars and Godiva dark truffles. But I wouldn't put gift chocolates in the fridge or freezer.

The other posters are right, Chocolates in the store keep without refrigeration. A few weeks before Christmas should be fine.