Esteemed Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@itiswhatitis what I thought I was implying was that he made honoring our flag, which is a symbol of our country, in this way, even though he was already late and could easily have overlooked pledging and run into class, is what made me think of him as a true patriot.  To me, a true patriot is anyone who freely does something to show respect for our country or any representative thereof, in this case it was the flag. I never meant for it to be a referendum on the Pledge of Allegiance ! 

@Imadickens, there it is again.  "Freely do something to show respect."  The case you're making is that those who pledge allegiance to the flag are showing respect to their country (this is an assumption on your part). In addition,  I say that is not the only way one can show allegiance to their country.

To me, you insinuate that if you do not, you are not patriotic.  True Patriotism.....you pretty much defined it for everyone with your opener and title.  The thing is it is not necessarily true "true patriotism."

That's my opinion of your posts.  You have to understand that when you post points of view, that everyone will not always agree.  This is such a time.  I do not agree with your definition of "true patriotism."

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

That is so sweet!  I love the patriotic people, but as Americans we have the right to decide whether to salute the flag.  Shame on me that I can't remember whether this comes from a Supreme Court ruling our just our First Amendment (I do remember the Supremes' ruling on flag burning).  The un-American thing is to limit the choices here.

The United States Flag Code outlines the protocol, but even though it's law, it's not enforced.  

------------------

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag.

A later amendment further authorized hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel. This was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14, 2008.

SEC. 595. MILITARY SALUTE FOR THE FLAG DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES NOT IN
UNIFORM AND BY VETERANS.

Section 301(b)(1) of title 36, United States Code, is amended by
striking subparagraphs (A) through (C) and inserting the following new
subparagraphs:

``(A) individuals in uniform should give the
military salute at the first note of the anthem and
maintain that position until the last note;

``(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who
are present but not in uniform may render the military
salute in the manner provided for individuals in
uniform; and

``(C) all other persons present should face the flag
and stand at attention with their right hand over the
heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should
remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it
at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart;

Note: Part (C) applies to those not in the military and non-veterans. The phrase "men not in uniform" refers to civil service uniforms like police, fire fighters, and letter carriers - non-veteran civil servants who might normally render a salute while in uniform.

This applies ONLY to Service Members in or out of uniform.  Civilians are not required by any law to recite the pledge of allegiance.

@itiswhatitis- no it is not a requirement but some want to and feel pride for this Country.  I am one who does

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

That is so sweet!  I love the patriotic people, but as Americans we have the right to decide whether to salute the flag.  Shame on me that I can't remember whether this comes from a Supreme Court ruling our just our First Amendment (I do remember the Supremes' ruling on flag burning).  The un-American thing is to limit the choices here.

The United States Flag Code outlines the protocol, but even though it's law, it's not enforced.  

------------------

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag.

A later amendment further authorized hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel. This was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14, 2008.

SEC. 595. MILITARY SALUTE FOR THE FLAG DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES NOT IN
UNIFORM AND BY VETERANS.

Section 301(b)(1) of title 36, United States Code, is amended by
striking subparagraphs (A) through (C) and inserting the following new
subparagraphs:

``(A) individuals in uniform should give the
military salute at the first note of the anthem and
maintain that position until the last note;

``(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who
are present but not in uniform may render the military
salute in the manner provided for individuals in
uniform; and

``(C) all other persons present should face the flag
and stand at attention with their right hand over the
heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should
remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it
at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart;

Note: Part (C) applies to those not in the military and non-veterans. The phrase "men not in uniform" refers to civil service uniforms like police, fire fighters, and letter carriers - non-veteran civil servants who might normally render a salute while in uniform.

This applies ONLY to Service Members in or out of uniform.  Civilians are not required by any law to recite the pledge of allegiance.

@itiswhatitis- no it is not a requirement but some want to and feel pride for this Country.  I am one who does

Good for you @Stray.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Patriotism is just an emotion.

@sidsmom- so is love of your child, parent spouse...."just"....

Respected Contributor

Re: True patriotism!

[ Edited ]

To me, patriotism is llike religion:  those who profess the most loudly don't necessarily do the most.  Or care the most.  They say the most. 

A child of five is a little kid.  It's adults who protect democracy by their faithful service.  Patriotism is not "lip service."  It's life-and-death service.  It's a commitment to action.  IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

To me, patriotism is llike religion:  those who profess the most loudly don't necessarily do the most.  Or care the most.  They say the most. 

A child of five is a little kid.  It's adults who protect democracy by their faithful service.  Patriotism is not "lip service."  It's life-and-death service.  It's a commitment to action.  IMO.

PREACH!!!!!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

The Pledge of Allegiance was introduced during the Cold War in the early 1950s. 

If a child says the pledge, it is because that child has been taught to say it.

To me, "true patriotism" is shown by (as put in the lyrics of "The Star Spangled Banner") "Freemen [who] stand/ Between their loved homes and the war's desolation," men and women who have put themselves in danger to help democracy.

A five year old child is not an exemplar.  Our soldiers are.  I really wish people would give the honor and credit where it was due. And honor sacrifice with adequate compensation and medical care.

And not assume their own placing of decorations and flags has much to do with preserving the republic.  It does not.

The Star Spangle Banner has a colorful and questionable past if you bother to read all the verses non of which have anything to do with today or our country's past. That said it to was adopted changed and put in to get peoples "moral" up not those serving in harms way.

What that little boy did was sincere and who knows maybe someday he will serve and you wont feel so dismissive towards him.

Finally a brave young man is kneeling when he hears the National Anthem and yes I said brave. Because instead of standing he is kneeling and showing exactly what our brave men and women fought and died for including my late exhusband, father and purple heart recipient Grandfather. Understanding that our true freedom is the messy part of this is what is important. Our right to protest injustices even if it is silent and on ones knee.

If that "brave" young man that's kneeling is a certain football player, it's too bad he opened his mouth and showed the world his ignorance because he didn't have a clue as to the  facts about which he spoke.   

@Tyak- that particular football player was to be traded before all the hoopla but no one wanted him....now he will cry foul when he is released....poor baby! $11 million dollars to sit on a bench.   Please his motives were self serving and he doesn't walk in the shoes of a kid from Chicago or South Bronx or my State, Newark and Trenton....

Esteemed Contributor

For me, patriotism is in the heart, and not what someone does.

A person can be just as patriotic, and not say the pledge, as someone who does.

The person who doesn't say the pledge, can love their country just as much as someone who does.

Saying the pledge is not "proof" that one person is more patriotic than another.

And just because someone does say the pledge, doesn't mean that they love this country.

They are just reciting a bunch of words that they were taught.

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis For some reason you are determined to believe I have a secret agenda. I'm not going to win with you, so after explaining one last time, I won't try any longer. 

First, at no time did I ever say that all  "who pledge allegiance to the flag are showing respect to their country", though if they are not doing it for that reason, then why? 

Next, I never said it was the only way to show allegiance to their country. 

All I was trying to point out is how nice I thought it was that a young boy thought pledging to the flag was important enough to be late to class for. Again, I did not suggest he were the only one who felt that way, or that only young people are true patriots, or anyone who went to class instead of stopping to say the pledge were not true patriots, or that only true patriots are late to class, or that he is now and will always be the only true patriot!

I'm sure there is something else in my posts with which you can find fault. However, I'm sticking by my title. Anyway you want to attack my phrasing, I still think that little boy is a true patriot. Period, end of story.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants, I am truly dumbfounded at the reactions I got to what I thought was a cute story about a nice little boy! I also never  said anything about anyone else's patriotism, or lack thereof! I also made no mention of religion. I never said the boy was better than those who serve our country. Frankly, I said nothing about anyone else and how one should or shouldn't show patriotism. I also never even implied anyone had to pledge to the flag to be a true patriot, or that one who chooses not to pledge can't be! I never did anything except retell what I thought was a heart warming news item and give it a title stating that I believed he was a true patriot, not the only patriot, not excluding everyone else from being patriots, just, A TRUE PATRIOT .

Never underestimate the power of kindness.