Esteemed Contributor

Re: True patriotism!

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

I believe our patriotism is in our heart, and it isn't "proven" by grandstanding or necessarily by outward "show," and it isn't something people can (or should) be shamed into...  because it has to be genuine.    In my opinion, it's created, developed and nourished and it requires a deep understanding of and appreciation for the principles on which our country was founded.

@dooBdoo This is pretty much it in a nutshell!Heart

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

This little boy, cute as ever, felt the need to stop and acknowledge our country's flag.  He feels good doing it and I'm quite sure his parents are proud.  That's all that matters to that family and they don't care what any of us think. mo

Esteemed Contributor
It's nice that he did but it's an every day occurrence at schools all over this nation and post/bases around the world. It's called indoctrination.
Honored Contributor

Re: True patriotism!

[ Edited ]

If patriotism is identified as an Entity,

I believe it's the act of paying Taxes.

Every April 15 & every quarter (upcoming on Patriot Day),

I mail out a sizable check to the US Treasury.

What better way to show my love to this beautiful country

than giving it a 'present' every 3 months??!

🇺🇸❤️🇺🇸❤️🇺🇸

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I believe our patriotism is in our heart, and it isn't "proven" by grandstanding or necessarily by outward "show," and it isn't something people can (or should) be shamed into...  because it has to be genuine.    In my opinion, it's created, developed and nourished and it requires a deep understanding of and appreciation for the principles on which our country was founded.

Beautifully said. I will add that no one group has a monopoly on patriotism, what it is and how it should be demonstrated - or if it should be demonstrated.

Those who are polar opposites in sociopolitical ideology can both/all be patriots because we ALL love our country and are willing to make sacrifices for it. How we show it, if we show it, isn't as important as feeling it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I know I'll never let anyone try to scold me about what I believe is patriotic or *unpatriotic*.

Trusted Contributor

While sweet, there is no way, that a 5 year old boy, truly understands the meaning of patriotism. It is simply beyond his life experience, and that's as it should be. 

He was simply doing what he's been taught. There's nothing wrong with that, but, it may demonstrate why some  people felt the Pledge should be removed from schools; it didn't display patriotism, it displayed that kids could memorize lines and repeat them by rote. 

Example:.Once upon a time, in 20 something land, some friends and I were in a bar in British Columbia.  We got to talking to some guys, who told us, they bet they could recite our Pledge of Allegiance, as well, or better, than we could. 

They were right. As kids, they had grown up watching Romper Room School, on an American  network. Part of that, was the morning Pledge of Allegiance😀

Their parents, had, apparently, found out about the Pledge, explained to their kids, it didnt apply to Canadians, but they still remembered it. 

Honored Contributor

@Suhse wrote:

While sweet, there is no way, that a 5 year old boy, truly understands the meaning of patriotism. It is simply beyond his life experience, and that's as it should be. 

He was simply doing what he's been taught. There's nothing wrong with that, but, it may demonstrate why some  people felt the Pledge should be removed from schools; it didn't display patriotism, it displayed that kids could memorize lines and repeat them by rote. 

Example:.Once upon a time, in 20 something land, some friends and I were in a bar in British Columbia.  We got to talking to some guys, who told us, they bet they could recite our Pledge of Allegiance, as well, or better, than we could. 

They were right. As kids, they had grown up watching Romper Room School, on an American  network. Part of that, was the morning Pledge of Allegiance😀

Their parents, had, apparently, found out about the Pledge, explained to their kids, it didnt apply to Canadians, but they still remembered it. 

I agree in part, and/but would add that it's possible a six year old could be explained about respect for and love of his country, and it's possible he could understand the concept to some degree. I wouldn't assume he was *only* repeating what he was told, simply *because* he was told, and had no understanding of why he was doing it.

However, IMO to attach a motive of "patriotism" to the actions of a young child who may, or may not, understand to some degree loving and honoring one's country, speaks only to the personal definition of patriotism of the person attaching the motive. It's their projection onto the child, who at that age isn't capable of understanding what patriotism might actually turn out to be, to him as an adult.

Even if asked why he did it and if he replied "my mommy or daddy says that's patriotic", he doesn't understand what "patriotic" is, he just knows it's something mommy & daddy want him to be, because they are too and it's a good thing because it means you love & honor your country. But that might also be stretching what a six-year-old comprehends.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

The Pledge of Allegiance was introduced during the Cold War in the early 1950s. 

If a child says the pledge, it is because that child has been taught to say it.

To me, "true patriotism" is shown by (as put in the lyrics of "The Star Spangled Banner") "Freemen [who] stand/ Between their loved homes and the war's desolation," men and women who have put themselves in danger to help democracy.

A five year old child is not an exemplar.  Our soldiers are.  I really wish people would give the honor and credit where it was due. And honor sacrifice with adequate compensation and medical care.

And not assume their own placing of decorations and flags has much to do with preserving the republic.  It does not.

The Star Spangle Banner has a colorful and questionable past if you bother to read all the verses non of which have anything to do with today or our country's past. That said it to was adopted changed and put in to get peoples "moral" up not those serving in harms way.

What that little boy did was sincere and who knows maybe someday he will serve and you wont feel so dismissive towards him.

Finally a brave young man is kneeling when he hears the National Anthem and yes I said brave. Because instead of standing he is kneeling and showing exactly what our brave men and women fought and died for including my late exhusband, father and purple heart recipient Grandfather. Understanding that our true freedom is the messy part of this is what is important. Our right to protest injustices even if it is silent and on ones knee.

Honored Contributor

It's very heartwarming and sweet and all, but come on, he's 5 years old.  He doesn't understand what patriotism means.  Not really.

He's been taught to do the "right thing".  That's all well and good.

But calling him a "true patriot" is a huge stretch.