Frequent Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Suhse wrote:

While sweet, there is no way, that a 5 year old boy, truly understands the meaning of patriotism. It is simply beyond his life experience, and that's as it should be. 

He was simply doing what he's been taught. There's nothing wrong with that, but, it may demonstrate why some  people felt the Pledge should be removed from schools; it didn't display patriotism, it displayed that kids could memorize lines and repeat them by rote. 

Example:.Once upon a time, in 20 something land, some friends and I were in a bar in British Columbia.  We got to talking to some guys, who told us, they bet they could recite our Pledge of Allegiance, as well, or better, than we could. 

They were right. As kids, they had grown up watching Romper Room School, on an American  network. Part of that, was the morning Pledge of Allegiance😀

Their parents, had, apparently, found out about the Pledge, explained to their kids, it didnt apply to Canadians, but they still remembered it. 

I agree in part, and/but would add that it's possible a six year old could be explained about respect for and love of his country, and it's possible he could understand the concept to some degree. I wouldn't assume he was *only* repeating what he was told, simply *because* he was told, and had no understanding of why he was doing it.

However, IMO to attach a motive of "patriotism" to the actions of a young child who may, or may not, understand to some degree loving and honoring one's country, speaks only to the personal definition of patriotism of the person attaching the motive. It's their projection onto the child, who at that age isn't capable of understanding what patriotism might actually turn out to be, to him as an adult.

Even if asked why he did it and if he replied "my mommy or daddy says that's patriotic", he doesn't understand what "patriotic" is, he just knows it's something mommy & daddy want him to be, because they are too and it's a good thing because it means you love & honor your country. But that might also be stretching what a six-year-old comprehends.

Great points @Suhse @Moonchilde.

Worth repeating so they're not lost in the mix.

Honored Contributor

I know this probably won't go over very well but to be honest, the biggest problem I have with this thread is that the mom was late to getting her son to school on time.  I am more than happy that her little guy stopped in his tracks to say the Pledge of Allegiance and then gave a quick prayer but I do have a problem with parents that cannot seem to get their children to school on time (and again editor's note I am old and don't understand why the trains don't run on time so to speak).

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I know this probably won't go over very well but to be honest, the biggest problem I have with this thread is that the mom was late to getting her son to school on time.  I am more than happy that her little guy stopped in his tracks to say the Pledge of Allegiance and then gave a quick prayer but I do have a problem with parents that cannot seem to get their children to school on time (and again editor's note I am old and don't understand why the trains don't run on time so to speak).

I'm with you on that and believe me it crossed my mind at first, too.

I feel bad for kids whose parents dropped them off late every day and the kids still got it from the teachers, in front of the class.  I would hear it with my own ears and cringe. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

KIds with certain  religious beliefs don't stand for the pledge at school.

Nor should  they have to, And up until recently it wasn't a big deal. They stood quietly while the other kids recited the pledge.

This might be a "controversial" question, but what does religion have to do with allegiance to your country?

@QueenDanceALot I'm taking a stab at this to say perhaps the inclusion of "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.  The Framers of our constitution were not religious men and people often think and vehemently believe our nation was founded on Christian religion.

Really big misconception.

A very many of our founders (not all of them, of course) were indeed very religious and invoked God and Christianity into their writing and decision making processes as they struggled to establish a system of government.

Best way to understand that is to read their actual writings. It's there.

COLLECTIVELY THIS REPUBLIC WAS NOT FOUNDED ON CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES.  THIS IS A BIG MYTH AND MISCONCEPTION PEOPLE LIKE TO USE FOR THE SAKE OF CONVENIENCE @Mominohio

*Call Tyrone*
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Esteemed Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@itiswhatitis For some reason you are determined to believe I have a secret agenda. I'm not going to win with you, so after explaining one last time, I won't try any longer. 

First, at no time did I ever say that all  "who pledge allegiance to the flag are showing respect to their country", though if they are not doing it for that reason, then why? 

Next, I never said it was the only way to show allegiance to their country. 

All I was trying to point out is how nice I thought it was that a young boy thought pledging to the flag was important enough to be late to class for. Again, I did not suggest he were the only one who felt that way, or that only young people are true patriots, or anyone who went to class instead of stopping to say the pledge were not true patriots, or that only true patriots are late to class, or that he is now and will always be the only true patriot!

I'm sure there is something else in my posts with which you can find fault. However, I'm sticking by my title. Anyway you want to attack my phrasing, I still think that little boy is a true patriot. Period, end of story.

SURELY YOU KNOW THAT NOT EVERYONE WILL AGREE WITH YOUR OUTLOOK ON LIFE.  THIS IS NOT ABOUT WINNING, BUT RATHER MY DISAGREEMENT OF WHAT YOU CALL A TRUE PATRIOT.  YOU'LL HAVE TO LEARN TO LIVE WITH THAT.  HOW MUCH SLEEP WILL YOU LOSE OVER MY DISAGREEING WITH YOUR PREMISE?

I DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR POINT OF VIEW.  LAST I CHECKED; IT IS OK IF I DON'T.  AGENDA?  WHAT AGENDA?  MAYBE YOU HAD ONE.  IF I THOUGHT YOU WERE UP TO TRICKERY, I'D HAVE SAID SO.  

YOUR POSITION IS DULY NOTED.  JUST KNOW "I" DON'T AGREE WITH IT.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

If patriotism is identified as an Entity,

I believe it's the act of paying Taxes.

Every April 15 & every quarter (upcoming on Patriot Day),

I mail out a sizable check to the US Treasury.

What better way to show my love to this beautiful country

than giving it a 'present' every 3 months??!

🇺🇸❤️🇺🇸❤️🇺🇸

um....April 15th is the deadline for paying taxes. Patriot's Day is the rememberance of the first battles of the American Revolution at Lexington and Concord.

Trusted Contributor
@Imadickens, thanks for posting this heartwarming story. It is not hard to explain the meaning of these words to a young child. They can learn to recognize our country's flag and learn what the stars and stripes represent. They can learn what it means to have allegiance to our country, what it means to be loyal to our country. What it means to be one nation, indivisible. What it means to have liberty and justice for all. It is a wonderful thing to teach the importance of these things to the next generation.
Esteemed Contributor
The first patriots were guilty of what Britain called treason and acts of violence toward taxation.
QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...