Frequent Contributor

Re: Trip to NY - Need a hotel recommendation please

The Peninsula......treat yourself. It's a quick taxi ride and its wonderful!!!!!

Super Contributor

On 1/20/2014 terrier3 said:

Where are you going in the city? What will you be doing?

There is a possible seminar that my husband thought about attending in the next few weeks but we may just skip that and do some of the other suggestions everyone has nicely offered.

Is grand central station closer to the Times Square area or Penn Station?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm embarrassed to say that neither of us has ever been to NY "yet" {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Valued Contributor

Native New Yorker here....Grand Central and Penn Station are almost equidistant to Times Square. Grand Central is on the East Side and is located on 42nd Street between Lexington and Park Avenues. Times Square is on the West side at 42nd Street and Broadway, approx 1/4 mile away. Penn Station is on the West Side at 34th Street and 7th Avenue, about 8 blocks south of Times Square. Both are walking distance or a quick cab ride -- depending, of course, on traffic which can be horrendous at times. You really can't go wrong with either station. Hope that helps.
Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 Grade1Teach said:

Le Parker Meridien --

We went on a "mini-honeymoon" there before our real honeymoon the summer after we were married. Beautiful hotel, great location, awesome (but expensive!!) breakfast at Norma's, and impeccable service. In my opinion, it's more of a contemporary hotel, but we loved it. We actually reserved a suite and stayed there again last year to celebrate our 7 year anniversary. Lovely!

They have a small "hidden" burger joint located in their old luggage area. My son and I went there and Paris Hilton was eating there too!

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 WeiRDgeRL said:
On 1/20/2014 terrier3 said:

Where are you going in the city? What will you be doing?

There is a possible seminar that my husband thought about attending in the next few weeks but we may just skip that and do some of the other suggestions everyone has nicely offered.

Is grand central station closer to the Times Square area or Penn Station?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm embarrassed to say that neither of us has ever been to NY "yet" {#emotions_dlg.blush}

You will love it! There is no place like NYC.

You can go from high end shopping (Tiffany, Saks, Madison Ave.), world class museums, walk a few blocks and be in a park of incredible beauty - Central Park.

I suggest that as a first timer, you go to the Top of the Rock - and see the entire city in all its glory. It is also close to Central Park and shopping.

My son and my ex both don't like crowds - so they gravitate to the park whenever they go to NYC to restore their "sanity".

Super Contributor

We were there this summer and stayed at the radio city apartments. They are near Rockefeller center, radio city music hall and just a half a block from Times Square. The subway was just a half a block too.

We LOVED the place. It's not a lush doorman type of building but the cost was great.

http://www.radiocityapts.com/

Super Contributor

Thanks again everyone for being so kind and helpful!! Now I'm excited to plan things out

Super Contributor

Enjoy your visit!