Honored Contributor

Re: Trip Advisor: My opinion

@JaneMarple wrote:

Apologies to the OP for her awesome thread being hijacked.

My apologies as well. Back to the Gold Badges...or followers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Good gosh, fight between Kindergarteners and first graders. No one wants to see all this ridiculous bantering. 

Esteemed Contributor

Back to reality:

I didn't know that Trip Advisor had a forum. Where can I find it?

I review restaurants and hotels on Trip Advisor, and restaurants on Yelp. I have some kind of silly badge on Trip Advisor. That and two dollars (used to be a nickel) will get me on the subway!

I understand that competitors will leave horrendous reviews (bedbugs in hotel rooms, shards of glass in food in restaurants), just to be spiteful. That's why I don't take many of the reviews seriously, but you really can get an idea of what the place is like by the percentage of likes and dislikes.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala

if you go towards the top of the main page, you will see a line of links that say hotels, flights, vacation rentals, restaurants, things to do, best of 2016, and MORE. click on the MORE link and you will see TRAVEL FORUM.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

We just returned from a week long road trip. During the planning I checked with several travel sites. We chose a few restaurants recommended by Trip Advisor and were not impressed. 

I'm just wondering if these hotels, restaurants, attractions etc don't pay for placement in these travel sites.

some do pay for preferential treatment, just as in the past, if you paid for ads in a travel magazine, they would do a nice write-up about your business 

On the other hand, negative reviews on some of these sites can contain "reviews" that are written by employees who have been fired 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@granddi wrote:

We just returned from a week long road trip. During the planning I checked with several travel sites. We chose a few restaurants recommended by Trip Advisor and were not impressed. 

I'm just wondering if these hotels, restaurants, attractions etc don't pay for placement in these travel sites.

some do pay for preferential treatment, just as in the past, if you paid for ads in a travel magazine, they would do a nice write-up about your business 

On the other hand, negative reviews on some of these sites can contain "reviews" that are written by employees who have been fired 

This is true, but when you start a "count" it's often not possible for that many people who've been wronged to be writing a review.  The joint woudn't have any employees. 

Things like this take some common sense, cross referencing, googling and things like that.  Get around to other travel forums to see what they say about hotels.  Some are region specific. 

I use Expedia and Trip Advisor for rates and sometimes go directly to the hotel and book my reservations.  I've been known to book my flights this way too.  I've had decent experiences with what I've searched for on Trip Advisor.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunala

if you go towards the top of the main page, you will see a line of links that say hotels, flights, vacation rentals, restaurants, things to do, best of 2016, and MORE. click on the MORE link and you will see TRAVEL FORUM.

Thanks for the info, @sunshine45.  I never knew those forums were there.  I'm going to check them out tomorrow.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunala

Thanks @sunshine45 I just spent way too long reading reviews and finding new restaurants to visit the next time we travel. Boy it really did eat up my evening!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunala

Thanks @sunshine45 I just spent way too long reading reviews and finding new restaurants to visit the next time we travel. Boy it really did eat up my evening!

Good one SunalaSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@emma bunting wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Wow, ask them.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/

Sorry...I don't click on links from people I don't know.....Smiley LOL

Then maybe you shouldn't be asking them questions. Any question might involve another site and link. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all