Honored Contributor

Re: Trip Advisor: My opinion

I have read Trip Advisor reviews and have found them very helpful.. Even the horrible reviews on a hotel or restaurant I love, can be helpful. I think hotel reviews can be all over the place, really.  Accommodations, comfort, mattress quality, noise levels, service are all different to each person.

i muddle through, and pick and choose.  If reviews are all over the place, I will look elsewhere for reviews, and call the hotel myself.  I do know a hotel we choose in Burbank, ca always sends us a link to review on trip advisor...but they don't tell us wh to say.  We love the hotel.  I gave a detailed review once, not every visit. When I give a review, I give outside appearance, staff, first impression.  Then I leave a detailed description of room, and add pros and cons.  I also let the reader know I am sensitive to outside noise of any kind at night, temperature levels in hotel, the bedding and mattress comfort.  I include I have back problems, and if the room might be hard to access with disabilities.  I may include places we dine close by.  I appreciate it when others do the same.  Makes it easy to draw my conclusion.

i can tell you I used trip advisor to read reviews on cafes in the town we live in.  I have lived here for 32 years.  When someone rates a place high that I know is a dump I wonder if they really went there, lol.  I read a horrible review about a place in town that is popular for good  food for years.  Locals covet the place, never heard a bad word, except from an out of town review.  I wonder what happened.  But to each their own taste.  Also you never know what happened the day a reviewer visited a place. That is when consistency pays off!!

Honored Contributor

As a single woman traveling alone, I talk about things that are important to me when traveling.  I have a template for my hotel reviews and use that as the starting point, to make sure I hit all the highlights (like if the hotel room has enough lighting for makeup, enough counter space for makeup etc.)  I also always state when I am traveling on business and my company has paid for the trip because I think it impacts a person's perception of a place if they are paying for it with their own money or if someone else is paying.  

I always put my room # in as well.

I think the reviews on Tripadvisor as a lot more detailed than some other sites.

When a hotel has 1500 reviews, you can see a trend.  I like to read the most recent reviews and then sort by # of stars to see what the 1 star people are complaining about.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

As a single woman traveling alone, I talk about things that are important to me when traveling.  I have a template for my hotel reviews and use that as the starting point, to make sure I hit all the highlights (like if the hotel room has enough lighting for makeup, enough counter space for makeup etc.)  I also always state when I am traveling on business and my company has paid for the trip because I think it impacts a person's perception of a place if they are paying for it with their own money or if someone else is paying.  

I always put my room # in as well.

I think the reviews on Tripadvisor as a lot more detailed than some other sites.

When a hotel has 1500 reviews, you can see a trend.  I like to read the most recent reviews and then sort by # of stars to see what the 1 star people are complaining about.

Great post as well as great points, VaBelle35!

Esteemed Contributor

I love tripadvisor.  I use it every time I book travel and when I arrive for restaurant advice and things to do.  LM