Honored Contributor

Tried making my own microwave...low cal. popcorn tonight.

Really like this recipe and it pops very well.

Original recipe makes 3 servings Change Servings
  • <label><label><input id="cbxIngredient" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$recipe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl01$cbxIngredient" /></label></label>

1/2 cup unpopped popcorn

• <label><label><input id="cbxIngredient" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$recipe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl02$cbxIngredient" /></label></label>

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

• <label><label><input id="cbxIngredient" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$recipe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol2$ctl01$cbxIngredient" /></label></label>

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Check All Add to Shopping List
<h3>Directions</h3>
  1. In a cup or small bowl, mix together the unpopped popcorn and oil. Pour the coated corn into a brown paper lunch sack, and sprinkle in the salt. Fold the top of the bag over twice to seal in the ingredients.
  2. Cook in the microwave at full power for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until you hear pauses of about 2 seconds between pops. Carefully open the bag to avoid steam, and pour into a serving bowl.

eta: I sprayed a little Pam on it and then salted the popcorn a bit more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tried making my own microwave...low cal. popcorn tonight.

How did it taste?

Respected Contributor

Dr. OZ was on fox and friends a few weeks ago and made this. Just popcorn in a brown paper sack. I bought the sacks and the popcorn and DH has made it a few times. You can eat it right out of the sack. Clean, cheap and easy.

Honored Contributor

On 5/19/2014 qbetzforreal said:

How did it taste?

Better then the microwave popcorn bags you buy. Now I love full on butter popcorn... and I can eat this and be quite satisfied. I really like it.

Honored Contributor

On 5/19/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

Dr. OZ was on fox and friends a few weeks ago and made this. Just popcorn in a brown paper sack. I bought the sacks and the popcorn and DH has made it a few times. You can eat it right out of the sack. Clean, cheap and easy.

I almost went dry...but I choice to add the tsp.of oil and think I will like it better and 1 tsp. of oil is not to bad compared to what I usually use.

Oh and none of those chemicals that the store bought has.

Honored Contributor

Now if you want a real treat, spray with a little "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray, then sift some powdered cheddar cheese over it. The butter spray helps it stick to the popcorn.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Be very careful.......using paper bags can and has caused fires in the microwave. Just a polite warning.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 5/19/2014 kachina624 said: Now if you want a real treat, spray with a little "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray, then sift some powdered cheddar cheese over it. The butter spray helps it stick to the popcorn.

I was just thinking about adding the Butter spray to my grocery list. I bet it is good. Is the cheddar cheese bad for you??

Honored Contributor

On 5/19/2014 ROMARY said:

Be very careful.......using paper bags can and has caused fires in the microwave. Just a polite warning.........

TY!

Honored Contributor

If I were you, I'd toss in a little melted butter, rather than the cooking spray. What's in that stuff? I never use it.