Honored Contributor

Re: 🦇Trick-or-Treat: Age Limit?👻

@sunala wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I think it depends on where you live and what goes on in your neighborhood.

in some neighborhoods, the older teens trash, egg and wax everything they can get away with and they damage cars.  They also steal the candy collected by the little kids.  I can understand why these communities are trying to limit the number of these older kids on the streets.

Other neighborhoods, such as mine, get hundreds of kids and adults at their door.  They come in vans and buses and take over the whole neighborhood.  I have had adults in their 30-40's knock on my door.  It is not unusual for me to give candy to 600 to 700 door knockers.  I have never had an issue.  All are polite and I give out candy until I run out. Most are strangers.  We only have five kids who live in my neighborhood.

My two sisters only get around 10 kids at their doors every year and all live in the neighborhood.

My community has an age limit of up to 12, but it is not enforced.  I have neighbors who chase the older kids and adults away and slam the door.

I just go with the flow.  Some adults are not ashamed to knock and ask for a treat.  They even have the nerve to come back a second time.

I understand why in some communities, they limit the age of kids and adults who can knock on the door for a treat.  Of course, sometimes older kids are chaperoning their younger siblings, which should be allowed.

Too bad some people ruin the fun for others.

@Carmie   600-700 door knockers????? Vans and buses? Are you kidding?

Never in a million years would I open the door to such crowds of children AND adults!

Cat TongueMan TongueSmiley TongueWoman Tongue

I don't mind opening the door for that many, I could not afford the candy!

Respected Contributor

I never get any trick or treaters anymore. Now the community has a big party for the kids with candy & games. I think this is much better for the kids safety and ours. If kids especially older ones come to the door these days they could be on drugs or have a gun. Sorry to feel that way as it use to be such a fun time for kids. But times have changed.

Respected Contributor

The middle schoolers (sixth and seventh grade in our district) are doing a service project to “trick or treat” for the local food bank. They’ll canvas the neighborhood asking for donations of non perishables and hygiene items. My son and his group of friends incorporated a wagon into their group costume for the haul. I hope our neighbors are generous for this good cause.
Honored Contributor

Anyone here remember the ‘Trick or Treat for UNICEF!’

I remember it a big deal back in the ‘70s....

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't gotten trick or treaters in years. Now we usually go out for dinner or order in. I don't even turn on my porch light until after 9:00 pm

Respected Contributor

I pass out candy at the end of my driveway. I give candy to anyone who stops by. 

It's only 2 hrs here, when I run out of candy, I come inside. I don't see how they can police trick or treat, I buy the candy, I can give it to whoever I want.

Honored Contributor

We have a lot of children on Halloween come to our door. My husband usually takes the day off so we take turns giving out the candy. We both enjoy seeing the little ones and if someone rings our bell, we don't care what their age.

Last year we had about 100 trick or treaters. So we stock up on a lot of candy. When it is around nine or so, if there is any left, we give it away because I cannot be trusted to not eat it myself. LOL

Respected Contributor

If a teenager wants to hold on to a last remnant of their childhood, I say more power to them!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Anyone here remember the ‘Trick or Treat for UNICEF!’

I remember it a big deal back in the ‘70s....

Yes, it was a big deal to bring in our pennies collected to school.  It became almost a contest to see who brought in the most. I remember feeling very proud as a young child that my class collected about $25 to send to Unicef.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

I'm glad we don't do trick or treating where I live anymore.  We have a Community Center that gives a Halloween party every year for the kids.  It's much safer for everyone concerned.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.