Valued Contributor

Re: 🦇Trick-or-Treat: Age Limit?👻

I don’t care how old someone is.  If they’re dressed up and behaving properly I’m more than happy to see them trick-or-treating.  It’s a fun celebration for everyone who wants to participate.  I love to see the moms and dads dressed up accompanying their kids sometimes with their dressed up dogs. It’s one evening a year after all, I say just enjoy it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe that  town should have places where teens can go that night. Open the boys and girls club etc.

Honored Contributor

On the subject of giving out candy.My worst experience was with a mom who rang my doorbell at 9 at night.She had three pillowcases in her hands that were stuffed.I asked where the kiddos were and she said asleep in the car.Pure greed IMO.

Trusted Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

I don’t care how old someone is.  If they’re dressed up and behaving properly I’m more than happy to see them trick-or-treating.  It’s a fun celebration for everyone who wants to participate.  I love to see the moms and dads dressed up accompanying their kids sometimes with their dressed up dogs. It’s one evening a year after all, I say just enjoy it.  

I agree, it is fun to see them dressed up with their kids.  

Honored Contributor

I was 13 last time I went trick or treat. LOL!!!

My dad was military so we lived on an Air Force Base. We would go to every house on base & start over. Some would recognize us some not. We used those large brown sacks they used to sack your groceries in at the grocery store. They would be half full when we got finished.

Yes there should be an age limit. I think it should be 12 since you are suppose to be a teenager at 13.

We hardly get any trick or treaters but I'm not answering the door to older teenagers.

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on where you live and what goes on in your neighborhood.

in some neighborhoods, the older teens trash, egg and wax everything they can get away with and they damage cars.  They also steal the candy collected by the little kids.  I can understand why these communities are trying to limit the number of these older kids on the streets.

Other neighborhoods, such as mine, get hundreds of kids and adults at their door.  They come in vans and buses and take over the whole neighborhood.  I have had adults in their 30-40's knock on my door.  It is not unusual for me to give candy to 600 to 700 door knockers.  I have never had an issue.  All are polite and I give out candy until I run out. Most are strangers.  We only have five kids who live in my neighborhood.

My two sisters only get around 10 kids at their doors every year and all live in the neighborhood.

My community has an age limit of up to 12, but it is not enforced.  I have neighbors who chase the older kids and adults away and slam the door.

I just go with the flow.  Some adults are not ashamed to knock and ask for a treat.  They even have the nerve to come back a second time.

I understand why in some communities, they limit the age of kids and adults who can knock on the door for a treat.  Of course, sometimes older kids are chaperoning their younger siblings, which should be allowed.

Too bad some people ruin the fun for others.

Honored Contributor

When I was a kid it was considered weird to go out after the age of 11 or so.  When my kids went around by the time they were teens they hung out with friends and went to parties.  

Over the last 10 years or so I have noticed large groups of teens coming around "trick or treating"...I think that's too old but at least they were very polite.

Honored Contributor

If anyone dresses up and comes to my door, I would give them candy too. I know several parents are dressing up with their kids. Why not? It’s nice to see the parents out with their kids. Kids are bigger these days so how do I determine if you’re 12 or 18. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The oriiginal post sems extreme. Parents need to legislate this, not municipalities.

I allowed my boys to T or T through age 13- eighth grade. IMO high school age is too old, with some limited exceptions. I always noticed more older boys than girls at my door on Halloween. If the older kids were in costume they got candy. If no effort to "dress up", then no effort (and candy) from me. Really just a few H.S. age kids through the years.

In addition, the porch light was turned off around 8PM, which also discouraged the older kids who came around later.

I'm in a new neighborhood this year, so we shall see. T or T hours are limited here.

Honored Contributor

Our rural community does not allow going house to house to Trick or Treat. We have a big Halloween party at the Rec Center for all ages and the high school and elementary schools all have class room parties.