Respected Contributor

Re: Tributes pour in for Bourdain

I have mixed feelings about Anthony Bourdain.  But I am so sorry for the torment that led to his suicide.  He was brash, irreverent and a wonderful writer.  He will be missed.

Esteemed Contributor

I was really upset when I learned of Anthony Bordain’s death but my husband was just about in tears. We have enjoyed his TV programs for years. He was a unique presence in our culture, able to communicate the beauty of every place he visited and the joy of breaking bread with people everywhere on earth. He will really be missed.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed his book Kitchen Confidential many years ago but never watched his CNN shows.  RIP.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity Well stated. I know people with negative energy are unhappy and should be ignored, but truly, the comments you're referring to made me gasp. Thank you for addressing this so well. Sometimes you just can't ignore mean spiritedness.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

I only know him from Parts Unknown. Really enjoyed the show. RIP, Anthony. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincess wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

I will never understand insensitive comments, especially on this subject. Speak from experience, and lived through my own despair.

Try understanding why? Does anyone come on a thread knowing that the topic isn't of any interest, then insult others, make offensive statements. 

Please, Words have power. Choose wisely. 

We can learn from each other.  I pray you and your situation is better.

People don’t truly understand suicide until affected by it. Like you, it has touched my life too. Bless you. @Sweet_Serenity

@OKPrincess 

True we can learn a lot from someone saying-insensitive statements. No one has to experience suicide on a personal level to feel empathy for someone else.

My life now is completely different- healthy lifestyle, emotionally and physically. Learned the importance of meditation and other techniques.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

His death really saddened me. He was an unbiased journalist. Unusual in today's world. 

He was far from unbiased.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I joined the Peace Corps soon after I graduated from college.  The experience of being in and living in a foreign culture the way the locals do was life-changng for me.  And has stayed with me throughout my life, as it has for the overwhelming majority of others who were volunteers.

I loved watching his show as his approach to every place he traveled to was much the same as that of a Peace Corps volunteer.  He met the locals on their own terms and was accepting of them, genuinely intersted in them, and respectful of them.  And broke bread with them, eating as they did.  The rapport he developed wth those he met was a delight to see.  A common understanding that most of us developed is that people around the world are more alike than they are different, that there is a common humanity that binds us all together, quite regardless of wealth, position, education, or anything else that defines our individual situations.

I mourn the loss of an American ambassador who no doubt touched the lives of many in his travels.

Honored Contributor

While I have mixed feelings about Anthony Bourdain i was truly shocked & saddened to hear of his death.  

I enjoyed his shows on CNN & before that "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel.  

Frequent Contributor

Ansolutely agree, especially with the biased part.

May he RIP.