Honored Contributor

Re: Tributes are pouring in for Aretha

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

How could you not love the music of Aretha Franklin?  One of the really great African American singers of all time.  RIP Aretha.  Singing with the angels now.  LM

One of the great singers, period, of all time. She surpassed color barriers and was an inspiration for generations of singers of all races.

Lawrence O'Donnell had a wonderful tribute on his show tonight. Smoky Robinson and Michael Eric Dyson gave us their memories of her.

Rest easy, Your Majesty. 

Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I grew up with her songs.  High School -- she had hit after hit.  I could not believe she was still doing concets in 2017 until the dr. said no more.  Bless her heart.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

There's only two things we humans can do in the presence of magic.  Love it while you have it and never forget it as long as you live.  Maybe a third, pass it on to the next generation.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I beleive she was the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Honored Contributor

They had a tribute on here last night. She lived here. The news anchor was a personal friend ,and  she told of Aretha's kindness , her secret way of helping those in need, quietly.

She had nothing but respect and love for her. Aretha never went Hollywood ,or turned her back on the people that gave her, her start. She always remained true to her roots and her fans. You can't say that about many today

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I beleive she was the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

@Nataliesgramma yes, she was. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Apparently Bill Cosby posted or tweeted or somehow communicated a very nice tribute for her and got lots of grief for it.

The world is so ugly anymore.  People who have done bad things can't even say nice things about another person without getting hate and criticism.

Keepin' it real.