Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trial of Boston Marathon Bomber could last until June

On 3/6/2015 SydneyH said:
On 3/6/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

I really hope that he doesn't get the death penalty. I want him to spend the rest of his life in prison and I hope every day is painfully slow. Death is too easy and quick, he won't get to suffer like he would if he had to spend every day locked up and stripped of all his freedom.

Plus death cases are so much more expensive because of all the appeals.

John, I think this guy is scum too but I certainly don't want to become one of those countries like North Korea or some in the middle east where people don't even get a trial. No matter how disgusting a person is, in this country they deserve and will get a fair trial and I as an American am happy about that.

Cakers, I agree with you. I think that now that his brother is gone, he is seeing just how misguided his beliefs are.

I would be very surprised if he rec'd the death penalty.

I hope you are right Sydney.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Plaid Pants said:

My concern is that if he were to get the death penalty, once he was put to death, that he would become a martyr.

There is nothing linking the brothers to overseas radical terrorist groups. The brothers are believed to have developed their beliefs from the internet. As far as I know no group is demanding his release with threats to the USA. If anybody would consider him a "martyr" my take is that it would be an isolated individual who already has his/her mind made up regardless.

Lack of any outcry over Tsarnaev indicates nobody in any terrorist cell cares about him.

eta: DP is revenge, not justice. jmoymmv

Super Contributor

I am not totally convinced that the mother wasn't involved in influencing the boys. However, did I read that the oldest young man traveled to their home area in Russia and received some radical training there?

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 RainCityGirl said:

I am not totally convinced that the mother wasn't involved in influencing the boys. However, did I read that the oldest young man traveled to their home area in Russia and received some radical training there?

Tamerlan did travel to Russia but the FBI failed to follow up on him after he applied for a name change to an Islamic prophet - the tip was given by the Russian intelligence if I remember correctly. Tamerlan wanted the name change about 7 months before the bombing. Also the Russian intelligence had previously warned about Tamerlan's move toward radicalization.

I think Russia also withheld info but at our end not enough follow-up was done as he was not considered a severe threat by our own FBI/CIA. He was only on a watch list.

Super Contributor

My concern is that if he were to get the death penalty, once he was put to death, that he would become a martyr.

Who care if he comes a martyr? I do not our tax dollars to pay for him until he dies from old age.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 ivanatrump said:

Who care if he comes a martyr? I do not our tax dollars to pay for him until he dies from old age.

Actually, I've read that it costs more to try to obtain the death penalty due to not only housing a prisoner during appeals, but also due to the number of appeals and the time it takes to hold trials at each level of appeal which are part of our justice system. One way or the other society pays to maintain that system. We don't just string people up in the town square at the instigation of the townspeople.

Honored Contributor

It costs far less money to warehouse someone in prison for their natural life than to pay for lawyers to do endless appeals...and there ARE endless appeals in all death cases.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately(and I say that tongue in cheek), that's the price we pay to be a civilized country. We don't torture and execute like our adversaries. He was a resident of this country (forgive me, I'm sure if he had citizenship?) and so this is how we handle these cases. "Fair trial by a jury of your peers" and "no cruel or unusual punishment" are not concepts that only apply to when you are sympathetic to the defendant. It's when we can handle a case like this in a dignified and just manner....THAT'S what sets us apart from the rest of the world. As for the dp or life in prison, that's for the people in that jurisdiction to decide. When we can rise above our adversaries and still do the right thing....That's what makes us the great country that we are. Ultimately, it's not even about THEM. It's about US.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:

Unfortunately(and I say that tongue in cheek), that's the price we pay to be a civilized country. We don't torture and execute like our adversaries. He was a resident of this country (forgive me, I'm sure if he had citizenship?) and so this is how we handle these cases. "Fair trial by a jury of your peers" and "no cruel or unusual punishment" are not concepts that only apply to when you are sympathetic to the defendant. It's when we can handle a case like this in a dignified and just manner....THAT'S what sets us apart from the rest of the world. As for the dp or life in prison, that's for the people in that jurisdiction to decide. When we can rise above our adversaries and still do the right thing....That's what makes us the great country that we are. Ultimately, it's not even about THEM. It's about US.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/7/2015 RainCityGirl said:

Actually, I've read that it costs more to try to obtain the death penalty due to not only housing a prisoner during appeals, but also due to the number of appeals and the time it takes to hold trials at each level of appeal which are part of our justice system. One way or the other society pays to maintain that system. We don't just string people up in the town square at the instigation of the townspeople.

That's true. It does get expensive, there is no doubt. Look how much money has been spent prosecuting Jodi Arias and still no conclusion as to the penalty. It does seem wasteful when there is not much doubt of guilt, such as in the cases of Ms. Arias and Mr. Tsarnaev, but hopefully in the end, the guilty are convicted and justice is served.

However flawed it may seem at times, our legal system is still one of the best. I want to believe that.