Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trial Starts For Johnson & Johnson Regarding Opioid Crisis

@Spurt wrote:
  • A historic trial: Oklahoma's attorney general is taking on Johnson & Johnson over opioids, alleging the company acted as a drug "kingpin," created a public nuisance that cost the state billions of dollars and destroyed thousands of lives.
  • It's the first of many: The Oklahoma trial is the first major trial of nearly 2,000 cases around the country, testing whether a state can make a pharmaceutical company pay for the opioid epidemic

@Spurt   What I see happening is that #1 Dr.'s are a big fault at this.  Big Pharma is the head of it.  Example: When my hubby passed and I had seen my Dr. 3 months later for a routine follow up and I told him how I found myhubby dead in bed , I started to cry.  He right away wanted me on a anti depressant.  Seriously??  Is it abnormal to cry when talking about finding your husband dead in bed??   I told him look, it is normal to grieve, what is abnormal is trying to shove pills on people that don't need them.  That is one of many stories I could tell you all, but it is way to much.  Look at the kids that are drugged instead of learning how to cope with life?   Drugs drugs drugs----wrong wrong wrong and I am seeing elderly that are not getting the meds they need here in Florida.  That won't solve this problem.  Keep the illegals out that are bringing this stuff here.    

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

Not sure if you are addressing a specific opioid, or generalizing. I know that oxycodone started being used after WW I, a long time ago. I don't know the frequency it was dispensed or any other stats from that era. I agree, it is not new, but what era of time did those who took become addicts?

I am not giving the Pharmaceutical industry a pass, nothing close to that. What I do not see is why they are taking most of the blame for our now horrendous problems with adults that OD and die from this. Are not most of the deaths attributed to an OD?  I understand there are also illegal drugs that are made differently, and sold much cheaper, and also not prescribed.

If I thought targeting the Pharmaceutical companies would make even a dent in the 70,000 deaths from opioid OD, I would be 100% behind lawsuits. However, my belief is that all facets leading to OD deaths need to be addressed, and that includes the person that uses them.

All addictions reek havoc on families, and alcohol is right up there in that issue. My mom raised 4 of use by herself because of an alcohol addicted husband, and that was back in the 1940's. I didn't blame the breweries for his addiction, I blamed and still blame that poor excuse for a father. Still lots of alcoholics, and many are dead, and not because they were an addict, but because the person driving the other vehicle was mentally inhibited because of being inebriated.

Might just have to agree to disagree on this one. "I smell what you are cooking"!  Will have go use that myself down the road.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd probably usually be among the last to defend pharmaceutical companies but, to me, this is a frivolous action... No more inclined to want to see big settlemens revert to the state than I am to want to see pharmaceutical companies reel in more huge profits... At the end of the day, whatever we opt to take and for whatever reasons should be a personal, but informed, choice. And sorry, but no one should need to advise anyone opioids can create dependency... It falls under the heading of common knowledge... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

We pay doctors to prescribe the proper medication, they get the big bucks because we EXPECT them to be educated on the subject. They've let us down horribly. I was addicted to drugs, became a freakin zombie because of what my doctor ordered, said I MUST have. I never dreamed he was wrong, just that my condition had worsened with time. I lost years of my life in lala land because of him. When I went to another doctor, they put me in the hospital and rehabbed me back to good health. I was one of the lucky ones. I hate big Pharma, they want to kill us.

Why do I you hate Big Pharma? They make meds that can and do help people. 

Why not hate your doctor's actions?  He was the pusher and knew better. Not all doctors will prescribe these drugs and not all people will take them.

Contratulations on your recovery.  I know you had to work hard to get where you are today.  You should be proud of your accomplishment.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@BLK wrote:

There comes a point when personal responsibility comes into play. 

@BLK, I'm a little bit unclear as to what you're trying to say, and I especially don't understand how your last sentence relates here

@suzyQ3 

I understand what she is saying and I have said it in more than 1 post in this thread. My view is the one that is considered as "only the victim", also has culpability with their end result.

My own alcoholism was not because it is available, it is because it was my choice to abuse it. And because of it, each day is another day of sobriety for me, which is the best way I choose to look at it. Never cured, always "recovering".

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut, while it's true that the adult beverage industry does all it can to push it's product, I don't think that's an apt comparison to pharma and physicians pushing highly addictive painkillers to patients who depend upon them to know what's best for their health. And then it's too late -- they're hooked

I applaud your sobriety and what it took to achieve it. I wish all alcoholics could recover as well. But we're all different, so I won't judge individuals when it comes to beating addiction.

As for this case in particular, I think the state(s) have a tough row to hoe.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

We pay doctors to prescribe the proper medication, they get the big bucks because we EXPECT them to be educated on the subject. They've let us down horribly. I was addicted to drugs, became a freakin zombie because of what my doctor ordered, said I MUST have. I never dreamed he was wrong, just that my condition had worsened with time. I lost years of my life in lala land because of him. When I went to another doctor, they put me in the hospital and rehabbed me back to good health. I was one of the lucky ones. I hate big Pharma, they want to kill us.

Why do I you hate Big Pharma? They make meds that can and do help people. 

Why not hate your doctor's actions?  He was the pusher and knew better. Not all doctors will prescribe these drugs and not all people will take them.

Contratulations on your recovery.  I know you had to work hard to get where you are today.  You should be proud of your accomplishment.

I do hate the actions of my doctor, I know I am very lucky and with the proper care from responsible, caring doctors and nurses, I'm where I am now. I've taken charge of my condition(s) and have refused certain medications w/heavy side effects. For many years, I couldn't form a complete thought w/o it "dropping off." I don't want to talk about it anymore, I stay away from subjects that make me angry and that dr. still can rile me.