Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

I think this has more to do with generational attitudes about society "rules".

Years ago there was a "proper" way of dressing in public.  I can still remember when there was a hem length that was considered the "yearly" style. All women whether young or old had their dresses at that length. Women wore pantyhose.There were proper clothes to be worn at certain times (office, church, public).  Casual clothing was only for private times at home.

Rules in other areas were very firm too. No such thing as living together (living in sin) and if a girl got pregnant the couple would "have" to get married. Today?  No one blinks at cohabitation and the value of marriage has declined.

So now there are really no rules.  Skirt length? Anything you want plus who wears skirts when athleisure wear like leggings and sweatshirts are more comfortable? Many offices have ditched formal wear for casual.Wearing pajamas in public now is no big deal, I see people even in stores doing this.

I wish we could go back to a more "proper" time but I believe the super-casual, "there are no rules" trend is here to stay.

But @busymom22, none of the past ways were written in stone. or came from on high. They were styles for the moment. And the moment is always changing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Whatever makes them happy.  Trying to relate to the viewers I guess.

I called my neighbor the other day and wanted to bring over a gift for her and her daughters.  She told me to wait a bit.. she had to get dressed... she was still in her pajamas.  It was 2pm 

Your neighbor was at home, not on TV.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

The stock rooms are still filled to the ceilings with PJ's , so  They are just thinking of ways to convince us that we need atleast 30 pairs of PJ's  and cabin socks for each day of the week . They ought to have a contest  for customers  to design the ultimate PJ...

Esteemed Contributor
Personally I think the pajama and knit cap wearing was just dumb. If I were on TV, I would feel silly dressing like that. And I don’t think one needs to dress like that to sell those items.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I usually prefer to see people in their pajamas over most of their chosen outfits.  

Pajamas usually cover everything; I always cover everything, and like to see others with their everything covered.   

I do not find it tasteful to see breasts on display, super tight jeans or leggings stretched to the very max and clinging to places I cover well, along with skirts with a slit up to the everything.   In these cases, yes, by all means, wear pajamas!   

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Much has been made recently on the forums about hosts wearing pajamas on air.It has polarized many people.  Maybe I shouldnt have been shocked when I saw Hoda and Jenna in pajamas on NBC this morning. I had to tune them off. I can only imagine distinguished news journalists such as Walter Cronkite, Chef Huntley or Cokie Roberts in this attire. Sadly if these greats were to suddenly reappear again and try and reclaim their positions as new anchors today none of them would be allowed to get thm.... because the packaging is wrong ! These professsionals behaved dignified and with class.  What is appearing as news today would make them spin in their graves.

Hoda and Jenna must have thought they were entertaining. They are not reciting the news.

As far as the hosts wearing pajamas, it speaks to the fact that perhaps it is time for you, @Reever, to re-think your viewing habits. Personally, I don't like watching anyone, no matter how eloquently they dress, hawking junk to me. Maybe a good book or listening to music would bring you a lot more pleasure than watching strangers in their pajamas trying to sell you something...

Respected Contributor

Just be glad they don't do four months of "bathing suits" or 'Bras and panties"...!

Honored Contributor

LOL

Honored Contributor

Sure you don't think shopping channel hosts and silly talk show hosts are "distinguished journalists".  LOL   People are having fun with pj's and it's become "a thing" for people to relax at home in matching pj's on Christmas.  We always entertained so we didn't do it until this year.  Everyone (like half the world) was in black and red buffalo check pj's all day.  I was in buffalo check leggings with a QF Christmas long sleeve tee.  It was fun!  I understand how you are feeling but as my mom was fond of saying  "the world marches on and I march right along with it".  

Honored Contributor

It's a global shift in style and necessities.  It's not just TV broadcast shows, news or shopping channels. 

Some of the top research companies have shown that employees forced to work at home early on, actually now hope to permanently work at home once we are out of COVID danger.  The Pew Research Center is one of the research companies that conducted studies.

If people are trying to reach the public in a way that resonates with them, they are more & more leaning all into the comfort apparel zone.

In Japan, an apparel company has created the "pajama suit" for men!  It looks just like a business suit -- dark grey jacket, light grey crew neck top underneath, matching dark grey pants.  But it's all made of super soft knit, elastic waist, and no buttons or zippers.  "Office work" on Zoom is often done in pajamas, even in tightly buttoned down Japan.