Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Much has been made recently on the forums about hosts wearing pajamas on air.It has polarized many people.  Maybe I shouldnt have been shocked when I saw Hoda and Jenna in pajamas on NBC this morning. I had to tune them off. I can only imagine distinguished news journalists such as Walter Cronkite, Chef Huntley or Cokie Roberts in this attire. Sadly if these greats were to suddenly reappear again and try and reclaim their positions as new anchors today none of them would be allowed to get thm.... because the packaging is wrong ! These professsionals behaved dignified and with class.  What is appearing as news today would make them spin in their graves.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Much has been made recently on the forums about hosts wearing pajamas on air.It has polarized many people.  Maybe I shouldnt have been shocked when I saw Hoda and Jenna in pajamas on NBC this morning. I had to tune them off. I can only imagine distinguished news journalists such as Walter Cronkite, Chef Huntley or Cokie Roberts in this attire. Sadly if these greats were to suddenly reappear again and try and reclaim their positions as new anchors today none of them would be allowed to get thm.... because the packaging is wrong ! These professsionals behaved dignified and with class.  What is appearing as news today would make them spin in their graves.

Apples and oranges! Hoda and Jenna's show is an entertainment show, not an evening broadcast.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Reever This hasn't "polarized" anyone! As someone said, it's apples and oranges. You're taking this way too seriously.

Honored Contributor

@Reever , I would think that this subject that you bring up annually would get tiring by now.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Pajamas are polarizing?  Woman Very Happy

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Oh here we go...

No way can Hoda and Jenna be compared to any of the others mentioned in the original post.

Honored Contributor

I think Walter and Cokie would "spin in their graves" over the stories that have to be reported these days. Not over PJ's.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Maybe they're attempting solidarity with The People of Walmart.

Besides, who knows what Old Ironpants was wearing when he broadcast the news? He might have had on long johns with a trap door for all we know.

Respected Contributor

@Reever   Try to not let it bother your head.  Social standards change and the corporate division calls the shots in terms of the dress code and conduct code of its employees.

Once upon a time business suits and ties were required of employees in office settings, unless you were the coffee cart pusher or doing building maintenance.  Standards have gradually become much more relaxed.  There is now business casual and casual Friday dress.

The man in the grey flannel suit, complete with a fedora and briefcase, has long been absent from most business scenes.  

Cab drivers in some cities wore uniforms.  You used to be able to recognize a registered nurse from her uniform and what school had trained her by the style of the cap she wore.  Now, there are lots of male nurses and wouldn't they look a tad silly in a frilly upside down "cupcake" hat?  Plus it was decided that the professional whites that medical employees wore actually scared many patients, including children, from what I recall having read.

So, if the Q's management is okay with the pajama phenomenon then don't let it bother you.  They want to connect to the customer by presenting a "problem" the customer needs to solve and offering a "solution" that the customer will buy.

Here's an example of a spiel:  Have dirty clothes that never seem to get really clean?  Try our new Super Cleenz crystalz detergent with three times the amount of cleaners and brighteners at a fraction of the cost of competing brands.  And, for today only, we're beating our norrmal low price by an extra 5 percent discount . . . blah, blah, blah.

So, if pajama wearing hosts lead to more sales they will stay.  If it is determined some other ploy would be better they'll have their employees follow that path.

Hope your Christmas day has been a happy one.

aroc3435

Washington,  DC

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Reever   Try to not let it bother your head.  Social standards change and the corporate division calls the shots in terms of the dress code and conduct code of its employees.

Once upon a time business suits and ties were required of employees in office settings, unless you were the coffee cart pusher or doing building maintenance.  Standards have gradually become much more relaxed.  There is now business casual and casual Friday dress.

The man in the grey flannel suit, complete with a fedora and briefcase, has long been absent from most business scenes.  

Cab drivers in some cities wore uniforms.  You used to be able to recognize a registered nurse from her uniform and what school had trained her by the style of the cap she wore.  Now, there are lots of male nurses and wouldn't they look a tad silly in a frilly upside down "cupcake" hat?  Plus it was decided that the professional whites that medical employees wore actually scared many patients, including children, from what I recall having read.

So, if the Q's management is okay with the pajama phenomenon then don't let it bother you.  They want to connect to the customer by presenting a "problem" the customer needs to solve and offering a "solution" that the customer will buy.

Here's an example of a spiel:  Have dirty clothes that never seem to get really clean?  Try our new Super Cleenz crystalz detergent with three times the amount of cleaners and brighteners at a fraction of the cost of competing brands.  And, for today only, we're beating our norrmal low price by an extra 5 percent discount . . . blah, blah, blah.

So, if pajama wearing hosts lead to more sales they will stay.  If it is determined some other ploy would be better they'll have their employees follow that path.

Hope your Christmas day has been a happy one.

aroc3435

Washington,  DC

I try and keep things in perspective and adapt to changing times but I dont think everything has gotten better.   I miss the days of yesteryear when things seemed to make sense.  The recent addition of pajamas by media personalities just seems to be the latest slip in standards.  Ive always held the media to a high regard and find the behavior today disappointing and disrespectful to the legends.