Contributor

I named my son Ryan thinking there were no nicknames for it.....well, my dad calls him Ry.....grr.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Maybe we shouldn't judge people by their name.

I don't judge them, I judge their parents.

Names matter, food that has an unappealing name, often is passed over. They matter with new products, some have failed because of their name.

Companies employ people to name new products and paid focus groups are formed to evaluate the proposed name/names.

@occasionalrain   People are not products.

Honored Contributor

I'd say if there is some oddball name you like, change your own name and give poor child something they won't be teased about.  

Esteemed Contributor

Our sons name is Kevin Thomas 

My mom called him Kevy when he was little and when I text him now, I sometimes type Kev 

Esteemed Contributor

I say let people name their children what they want, we don't get many chances so name what you want. I have nieces named Autumn and Winter, both lovely little girls with lovely names.  My kids have very standard names.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor
I personally think the trend in naming your children Odd names is horrible. Bessie, Dugan, Millie, Opal, Reagan (for a girl). Lelo, To each their own lol
Trusted Contributor

Back in early 70's my girlfriend named her baby girl Katie. For the past 50 years people have been asking Katie if her real name is Katherine. She's good and sick of it.   Also have friend who named her son Andrew, which she loved, but she hated the nickname Andy and told everyone never to call him Andy. Trouble was, as he began school and grew older all his friends naturally called him Andy. 😄

Trusted Contributor

@U of M Go Blue wrote:

I named my son Ryan thinking there were no nicknames for it.....well, my dad calls him Ry.....grr.

My son's name is Ryan (b.1972). Thought I was being unique because the only Ryan I knew of was Ryan O'Neal 😄 My family calls him Ry too, and I guess I do same much of the time. 

Honored Contributor

I always wondered why Jack can be a nickname for John. If you like the name Jack why not just name your child Jack?

Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I say let people name their children what they want, we don't get many chances so name what you want. I have nieces named Autumn and Winter, both lovely little girls with lovely names.  My kids have very standard names.

@MoJoV    Love those names.  I had a student with the name Summer.  She was the sweetest little girl.