Honored Contributor

People are naming their babies nicknames rather than the formal name. For example: Beth rather than Elizabeth, Liv rather than Olivia, Tim rather than Timothy...

I wouldn't like that it eliminates the option of choosing to be addressed by a different nickname, Liz instead of Beth or the formal name. The Princess of Wales prefers to be called Catherine rather than Kate.

Esteemed Contributor

C vs K

Don't blame her - Kate is too   "FLIP"

Honored Contributor

My daughter did that with her baby boy.  I wasn't crazy about it but the name is nice....could have been something really "different".

Respected Contributor

My niece just had a baby girl and they were stuck between two names. She was hesitating on the name she preferred because she said it didn't have a nickname for it. I said why do you need a nickname; it's only two syllables. Then my sister reminded her that her (niece's) name lends itself to a couple very common nicknames and no one has ever called her those. You never know what nicknames may stick.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain : I know someone that named her daughter:  Denver Rain. So far no nickname.

Respected Contributor

Re: Trend In Naming Babies

[ Edited ]

Nicknames can be problematic. Young children respond to the name their parents use, not the name on the birth certificate. I think the current trend is a good one since that is the name others recognize. It should be on all legal documents instead of some formal name no one knows.

Honored Contributor

@On It 

But what if you dislike the nickname your family calls you? If my family called me Beth or Liv, I wouldn't be pleased, but I'd like being called Elizabeth or Olivia.  I use my formal name, not a nickname.

Honored Contributor

new grandma here.....our little devil is now 3 months old.

he has a not so common name that can be shortened to a not so common nickname. i generally call him by his name, my daughter and her husband call him by his nickname.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor
My son Matthew hates to be called Matt.
Honored Contributor

Several years or so ago, we ran into someone who named their baby son 'Bear'.  

I've wondered if Bear was or is an actual name?  And how he feels about his name right now.

Any thoughts?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).