Honored Contributor

I'm not sure you can get a true comparasion about this.

I see one poster lives in NJ and their rules for trash and recycling are very different than ours.  It can even vary from town to town in the same county.

Trusted Contributor

$12.00 per month for garbage and recycling pickup. I can put out as much of each as I want. Once a month we also have a free junk drop off at our township building. My only complaint is that I also have to pay $12.00 per month for a property that we own that is vacant and has no garbage. 

Honored Contributor

I am in WV, and pay $18 a month for weekly roadside pickup.   Metal is the only thing recycled in this area.   

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I live in rural Ohio, and to recycle, we have to take it to dumpsters located at several places in the county. It can be a 15  minute or more drive for some folks, so many do not recycle. The bins are unmanned and you have to unload and sort your own things. Between the drive and the work, many don't find it doable. I've always said if 'they' really want people to recycle, it needs to be free and easy, or people just won't do it. We do recycle though, as one of the county bins in only about four miles from our house, and on the way to town when we go. 

We have all private trash haulers here (back when I was a kid and lived in a city, there was city provided trash pickup, but that disappeared decades ago). It costs us just under $100 every three months. There is now a two bag limit for that (ridiculous). We have been with the company for many many years, and are grandfathered in at 8 bags. 

How would recycling be free? The process has to be paid for by somebody.

Where I live in TN we have to take our recycling in ourselves as well. And above a certain amount, they charge a fee. It's annoying and if I ever get onto a city council I'll try to do something about it. But it would have to be paid for by taxes just like anything else.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

In NYC - I think that's all includuded in our taxes.  At one time there was talk of charging - but I don't know what happened.

In any event, Ilive in a high-rise building.  Management takes care of that tuff.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I'm not sure you can get a true comparasion about this.

I see one poster lives in NJ and their rules for trash and recycling are very different than ours.  It can even vary from town to town in the same county.

@CelticCrafter , Perhaps comparison was the wrong term, I was curious to learn how other areas handled this necessary service and the cost. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Trash service where I live is paid for by local taxes.

Yard waste is handled the same way, but you have to get it out there on the right day if you don't want to spend over a week looking at it before they come get it. I love it when I manage to catch the yard waste cherry picker truck in action. The operator is like an artist the way he or she delicately picks up branches and old Christmas trees.

Recycling does not offer pick up and we have to handle it ourselves. The facility doesn't charge to receive it unless it's above a certain amount for certain materials.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

We live in a suburb of Southern California in Ventura County and have Waste Management.  We get one rolling can eachfor trash, recycling and yard waste.  We can get an additional can no charge but only for recycling.  They charge for the other two types.  We are currently paying $58.02 every other month.

Honored Contributor

We use the public trash and recycle systems where I live. One day for Trash pick up and one day for recycle.  But there are private options for both.  A lot of our neighbors seem to use it, but so far, we haven't tried it. 

Honored Contributor

We also have Waste Management and it's currently $62.73 every quarter (q 3 months).    That is for trash and recycling.  They pick up the trash once a week and the recycling every two weeks.

The one thing I don't like is that you cannot put plastic, like those plastic grocery bags, in there.   I have a carpload of those plastic bags - not that I get them at the store but the husband does.   I wish I could find a venue for recycling those.  I wouldn't feel right throwing them in the trash.