Regular Contributor

Transfer Emails and Pictures from Iphone 4s to New 5s

I am a technologically impaired lady and was told by AT&T that if I bought the new Iphone the only thing that transfers is your contacts. How do I transfer emails to the computer? I have googled the topic, however it made me more confused. I really need to have record of some of my emails and am desperate to copy them. Any help would be so much appreciated.

I understand the same problem would occur if I placed a new battery in my 4s, so this information is vitally important. Thanks again!!

Occasional Visitor

Re: Transfer Emails and Pictures from Iphone 4s to New 5s

[ Edited ]

I always transfer picturess from iPhone 4s to new 5s with Photo Stream, which is easy to handle. Tap on "Settings" on your iPhone. Select "iCloud" and enter "Photos" to ensure "My Photos Stream" is on.Follow the operation above on your iPad. But remember, you should log in the same Apple ID on both devices.Turn on "Photos" on the iPad, and select "Albums" and "My Photo Stream". You will find all images recently captured on your iPhone appear on the iPad. Choose the photo you want to save to iPad. Tap on the share button in the lower-left corner and then select "Save Image" and it is done.

But i'm so sorry for that I have no great idea to transfer emails from iPhone to iPhone. Perhaps you can use 3rd party tool to do that?

Honored Contributor

Re: Transfer Emails and Pictures from Iphone 4s to New 5s

[ Edited ]

angel8 wrote:

I am a technologically impaired lady and was told by AT&T that if I bought the new Iphone the only thing that transfers is your contacts. How do I transfer emails to the computer? I have googled the topic, however it made me more confused. I really need to have record of some of my emails and am desperate to copy them. Any help would be so much appreciated.

I understand the same problem would occur if I placed a new battery in my 4s, so this information is vitally important. Thanks again!!

@angel8, You always should back up the data on your iPhone on a regular basis (to a computer and/or to iCloud).  The AT&T rep was wrong in saying you only can transfer your contacts.  As @AshRemond explained, there are methods to move the information from device to device but you need to be sure it's all been backed up before you make the switch to a new phone.

Specifically about email:  Remember, your mail actually resides on the provider's server and not on your phone or tablet.  To see what I mean, if you'll log into your mail using the internet instead of viewing them on your phone, you'll see they are there.  For example, if you use Gmail go to the internet and log into www.gmail.com or if you use Yahoo go to the net and log into www.yahoo.com and click on "Mail." 

Think of the email messages on your phone as something akin to "copies" of the actual messages on the server.  When you activate your new phone and set up the email in the Settings, your messages will arrive from the server to your phone.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova