Trusted Contributor

Re: Trains....don't know where this is coming from, but I just love to see them.

@Cakers3 wrote:

@qualitygal  

Yes. 

The Mt. Washington train in New Hampshire

The Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway Train in Colorado

There were others as a kid but I cannot remember them.  LOL

Nice topic.

Those are the two best train rides ever!  Highly recommended!

As a youngster, I went with the Girl Scouts from Omaha to Chicago on a city tour.  And in junior high they loaded up a bunch of us "city kids" on a train to go out to ranches in the sandhills of western Nebraska for weekend.  

My DH would love to do the train ride across Canada, but it is pricey.  The Canadian Rockies would be beautiful by train.

Respected Contributor

Re: Trains....don't know where this is coming from, but I just love to see them.

Yes, I rode trains all the time in Germany. I also like them.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  I love trains.  I grew up using them and I have traveled in our country and in Europe.  To me, train travel is one of the best ways to travel.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Its good to dream and I would fancy to travel by train using the Orient Express

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

I'm not interested in seeing trains but do like hearing the whistle & the klicky-clack of the wheels on the track. I also like the sound a military jet makes, the high pitch whistle followed by the roar that envelops you, it's exhilarating. Ok, those are my nerdy comments for the day, lol. Be well.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

A couple weeks ago, I watched a channel on Pluto Tv (via Roku) that showed a train ride through Norway.  There was no narration or subtitles, just scenery accompanied by the sound of the tracks, as if you were actually on board.  When the train made stops at stations, you could hear the ambient sounds of the station, people coming and going.  It was very relaxing; the program was at least an hour long. 

Yes, saw some of those on YouTube too.  I loved them.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Yes.  When I was a kid, my mom and I would take a train that was nicknamed The Doodlebug to visit my grandmother about 3 hours away.  It stopped at all the small towns along the way.  (1950's)

When my son was 10 back in the 80's, we took an Amtrak out to Los Angeles (from the Midwest).  We passed thru plains, mountains, and deserts and it gave us lots to talk about.  It was 3 days and totally exhausting, but worth it.

When the wind is just right, we hear trains at night.  Like a lullaby when you're falling asleep. 

Are you planning a long train ride someday, @qualitygal ?

Well, never say never right?

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach

Got it saved and I'll be sure to check it out.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Oh I forgot ...In 1961 I was 10, my cousin was 13 & we rode the South Shore from South Bend, IN to Chicago, IL by ourselves with our parents permission. We were all dressed up, went shopping downtown at several "fancy" stores, had lunch at a tea room & got ourselves back to the train station for the trip home...looking back, I can't believe our parents let us do that. Crazy. 

Honored Contributor

Love to ride narrow gauge railroads in the mountains.  So far I've done the Cumbres & Toltec out if Chama, NM, the Durango & Silverton out of Colorado, the White Pass train out of Skagway, Ak.  Also rode from Denali National Park to Anchorage on the dome train.

My grandfather was a lifetime railroad engineer in Western Colorado so I grew up hearing wild railroad stories.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment