Honored Contributor

Re: Train crash in Hoboken, New Jersey

This is the train that goes through and stops on my town. Many people from this area work in the city.

Valued Contributor

The cause will be determined by the experts when all the facts are in.  Perhaps a braking or mechanical failure of some kind, human error, or even the engineer having a medical episode of some kind, the lack of funds to implement new safety technologies like positive train control, etc.  Also, the infrastructure here, as in NYC, is over 100 years old. The investigators will be looking at every possibility.

Honored Contributor

My first thought was that this ancient rail system is in dire need (and has been for a very LONG TIME now) of extensive repair.

Of course I don't know that this is the reason for this particular crash.

But I DO know that I am correct about the crucial need for repair of our infrastructure.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very terrible.  Maybe he had a medical episode. (just saw similar post).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Omg. I just got home to this terrible news. I'm in the tri-state area and have friends that commute in and out of Hoboken.

News reported that safety measures are supposed to be in place on these trains in the event control is lost (Positive Train Control - PTC), as in a medical emergency, but it has not yet been installed on NJ Transit trains.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched for a few minutes, said a prayer for all victims, and then turned it off.  Jusr too terrible to watch.  I am glad there are many hospitals in the area prepared to treat all these poor victims.

Respected Contributor

So sad!

I hope and pray that no more people are found dead.

Just awful.

Honored Contributor

They're still trying to determine if the engineer had a heart attack or other medical emergency. Woman Sad

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

Fortunately, my brother, who commutes daily on this route, was not on this train. There will be horrible commuting issues as a result of this tragedy but nothing as significant as the horrors experienced by the victims of this accident. I just hope it WAS an accident and not an act of terrorism.

Honored Contributor

I thought I just heard a reporter say there was a witness on a platform who saw the train go by, not slowing and the engineer was slumped over.