Respected Contributor

Re: Train Rapist Claims Encounter Was Consensual

[ Edited ]

Just want to point out that rape isn't just limited to a violent crime by a man against a woman.

It may also be a violent crime by a man against another man, a woman against a man, or a woman against a woman. It's about violent control and degradation.

Respected Contributor

We haven't learned much about the assailant so far. Only name, age, and that he is homeless. 

I would expect that his lawyer will immediately ask for a mental status evaluation. I can't bring to mind another case of rape happening in public view like this.

Can anyone?

Respected Contributor

Another recent piece of news; someone else who does not understand that NO means NO.  This guy should definitely know better.

SOMERSET COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ) — The Somerset County District Attorney, Jeffrey Thomas, has waived his preliminary hearing Tuesday afternoon but is now facing two new charges, according to the Attorney General’s Office.

The new charges of sexual assault and aggravated indecent assault were added onto the case, according to Senior Deputy Attorney General Patrick Schultz. Thomas now faces 50 years instead of 35 years if found guilty.

In addition to the new charges, the felony rape charge against Thomas was dropped.

Thomas is facing the charges after an incident that happened in Sept. at a residence in Windber where he allegedly physically and sexually assaulted a woman, according to state police.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

The rapist must have watched the Law and Order SVU episode with the rapist on the subway that made the same claim. 

And that is why I can't and won't watch shows like that as I don't find them interesting or entertaining.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I think it's unnecessary for the story to emphasize the number of homes the alleged perpetrator has, or doesn't have. Makes no difference to the crime.

I'd also add that if someone is assaulting you, standing up to move away gives the person access to even more places to grope and makes you even more vulnerable. And if she were drunk, she might have fallen, making her an even easier target. I think she had good reason to stay where she was. I wish someone had intervened. I assume some of the people did call 911 though, and perhaps thought they were recording the crime to help out when the police or security personnel presumably would arrive. Maybe one of the serious issues was a slow response from the authorities.

@Porcelain No one called 911 to report it until an (off-duty?) septa security person came upon the incident and called to alert authorities.

A spokewoman for Septa announced to anyone and everyone that there are over 2800 cameras on the septa trains.  So if anyone does anything--they can bet it will be on film.  It also showed a large red button to alert Septa to emergencies on each car.  In fact, there may be two red buttons per car.  Quite possible no one knew of these buttons? 

But if they had a phone on their person, unless they didn't learn their numbers yet, they should've at the very least dialed 911. 

But no one did.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

There is a message here about drinking. It renders you incapacitated, so you are not able to fend off a predator like this. This woman is a victim, and I am so sorry she had to go through this. I am also sorry for all the people that will blame her, because she had been drinking. 

Spoiler

Yes indeed!  I was a teenager when I started taking public transport and it was indtillec in me early often that I should "be allert and keep my wits about me,". And if someone bothers you get up and sit or stand near the diver.  The victim did neither of those things and it doesn't matter what she SHOULD have been allowed to do.  The REALITY is that there are bad people in this world so we shouldn't make it easy for them to victimize us.  Like it or not, there are times when a victim is partially respected. 
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

There is a message here about drinking. It renders you incapacitated, so you are not able to fend off a predator like this. This woman is a victim, and I am so sorry she had to go through this. I am also sorry for all the people that will blame her, because she had been drinking. 

Spoiler

Yes indeed!  I was a teenager when I started taking public transport and it was indtillec in me early often that I should "be allert and keep my wits about me,". And if someone bothers you get up and sit or stand near the diver.  The victim did neither of those things and it doesn't matter what she SHOULD have been allowed to do.  The REALITY is that there are bad people in this world so we shouldn't make it easy for them to victimize us.  Like it or not, there are times when a victim is partially respected. 

@chrystaltree   Whose post is inside the spoiler bar....

Okay, she was on a train.  So getting up and sitting or standing 'near the driver' was an impossibility.

As it turns out, she was sitting in a train car with no one (able--mobility issues, or elderly?) or willing to help her.

Respected Contributor

The alleged rapist had been convicted of  prior sexual abuse and was going to be deported until an immigration judge decided that this offense was not serious enough to allow deportation.

Interesting.  I wonder if this latest offense will be serious enough.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks @Isobel Archer.  I heard that this afternoon as "leaked from unofficial sources" and didn't want to post it here. Fox News says it is now confirmed. Some reporter got a great scoop. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

We haven't learned much about the assailant so far. Only name, age, and that he is homeless. 

I would expect that his lawyer will immediately ask for a mental status evaluation. I can't bring to mind another case of rape happening in public view like this.

Can anyone?

You might want to start a new thread entitled "rape in public." @PickyPicky3 .  Though you don't have to.  Geez.  Imagine discussing rape[s] of multiple women in public?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life