Respected Contributor

Re: Train Rapist Claims Encounter Was Consensual

@Lucky Charm  I didn't recognize the name Deletha Word, so I searched it this morning. What a horrible, frightening story. I can't believe she would have jumped off the bridge -- she must have been forced off.

Honored Contributor

This story chilled me when I saw it on Sunday.

The fact that I could be raped and bystanders would just watch or worse film was what really disturbed me. I truly don't know what has happened to all of us in the past few decades. 

I hope the DA gets brave and charges every single one of the passengers to prove the point that you have a responsibility to at least dial 911. If that's not in your phone log, I think the penal system is there to remind all of them of the responsibility of being a decent human being. 

It's just not okay. I get not wanting to get physically involved but you can't push 3

buttons or notify Septa police quietly on the smartphone we all walk around with?

In my opinion, it's the same as the getaway driver who is just as guilty in a bank robbery. It's criminal to watch another human being being brutalized right in front of you and do nothing. Throw the book!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ mannymanny2  He is the poster boy for lethal injection. Why waste taxpayer money on a troglodyte like him.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm wondering if the passengers mistakenly thought they were a couple and were concerned that if they intervened both would turn on them and didn't want them arrested if they called the police. That he was bothering her for some time and she didn't react as they would have expected had he been a stranger makes that likely.

Even if they thought they were a couple why would anyone video a couple having s**i mean that is just disgusting ,  what perverts !

Trusted Contributor

@Kitty Galore  Unfortunately that is the world we live in today.

Honored Contributor

I am just as profoundly angry at the people who just watched and taped the whole thing, and nobody tried to help her, as I am at the r apist.     WTAF!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

How credible is her statement if she was drunk? Sometimes people don't remember doing or saying things when they're drunk.

If she was drunk then she would be unable to give consent. Please stop vicltim shaming and realize that rape is a violent crime by men against women. It's not the woman's fault even if she was blind drunk and bare-a**** nekkid. She was unable to give consent, therefore he raped her.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I think it's unnecessary for the story to emphasize the number of homes the alleged perpetrator has, or doesn't have. Makes no difference to the crime.

I'd also add that if someone is assaulting you, standing up to move away gives the person access to even more places to grope and makes you even more vulnerable. And if she were drunk, she might have fallen, making her an even easier target. I think she had good reason to stay where she was. I wish someone had intervened. I assume some of the people did call 911 though, and perhaps thought they were recording the crime to help out when the police or security personnel presumably would arrive. Maybe one of the serious issues was a slow response from the authorities.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only person who called 911 was a SEPTA employee. We now know this person was off-duty. He/She observed something wrong with a woman in a traincar as it passed through the 56th Street Station. 

The police were waiting for the train at the 69th Street Station and knew which car to enter. They immediately took the assailant into custody and had an ambulance ready for the victim.

We are still learning more details. I would like to know what kinds of seats the two were seated in. If they were forward facing seats, and the victim was by the window, it would have been difficult for her to get away. If they were sitting in the seats facing in, with their backs to the windows, moving away would have been much easier.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The rapist must have watched the Law and Order SVU episode with the rapist on the subway that made the same claim.