Respected Contributor

Even if you don't live in a mobile home there's no guarantee that your house won't be blown away.  Kenny Chesney had a huge house in St. John that was destroyed.  He said that it just isn't there any more.  He said it was made with cement and had special windows that were supposed to sustain 200 mph winds.  Richard Branson's estate on Necker Island is gone. 

You can't fool mother nature.

Honored Contributor

Wow a lot of people sure must live in ivory towers!  I grew up among very very poor people.  There are a LOT worse places to live than trailers.  

So we just gonna outlaw poor people?  Or pass laws so poor people can't live in certain states?   

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Wow a lot of people sure must live in ivory towers!  I grew up among very very poor people.  There are a LOT worse places to live than trailers.  

So we just gonna outlaw poor people?  Or pass laws so poor people can't live in certain states?   

Some of those mobile homes are very nice.  My friend lived in one that was nicer than my house.  It cost just about as much also.

Talking about poor..... I worked with a guy who's family was so poor that their only shelter was a chicken coop. 

Honored Contributor

@garmer wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I think making mobile homes "illegal" is un-American. There are many, I'm guessing, whose housing options are limited by space or finances. I think that would be horrible to prevent people from living in these! And I doubt any such law would stand a snowball's chance of being passed!

I know of a few towns where it is actually illegal to live in mobile homes. They disallow them by way of the local zoning ordinances. You can't set them up in the residential or commercially zoned areas for use as homes.

It's not a safety issue either. It's a "not in my backyard" kind of thing...property values, doncha know?

Sometimes those ordinances are for a good reason.    Other than property values.   Not too many people want to live in a mixed used area.    If you want to live in a house, you want to live in a neighborhood of other similar houses.   If you want an apartment, go live in an apartment.   Same with mobile homes.    I would love to live in a mobile home community but I live in an area prone to tornadoes and hurricanes.   I'll keep my house on top of my thick, concrete walled basement.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it will every become illegal but I was thinking the same too, as in why do people have trailers near the ocean/hurricane area? 

I love the beach and used to want to live on the beach until lately. (Id never live in Florida though, due to high humidity, and i heard there are huge water bugs, and alligators). 

A relative of mine just moved to S Carolina to get away from the snow up north. She was panicking as the hurricane was brewing, because at first they said they would have to evacuate, but then they changed it to no evacuating.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Looking at the news today reaffirms my belief that Florida should make this form of housing in their state illegal.  Any tropical storm, not to mention tornado or hurricane, make these a dangerous housing option.

@patbz

That will never happen.  

However ..... I wish it were possible to ensure that people had adequate insurance on their residences .... including the relevant version of  "natural disaster" insurance for their area.    

Respected Contributor

I never knew how many mobile homes were in the Keys until seeing this footage. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Trailers in Florida

[ Edited ]

Not allowing trailers,  really does not make sense , i saw some in flordia yesterday ,right on a bay ,they held up well  they might have been pre fam  type ,but allowing people to build in a area ,where flooding happens often ,really should be stopped.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Looking at the news today reaffirms my belief that Florida should make this form of housing in their state illegal.  Any tropical storm, not to mention tornado or hurricane, make these a dangerous housing option.

@patbz

That will never happen.  

However ..... I wish it were possible to ensure that people had adequate insurance on their residences .... including the relevant version of  "natural disaster" insurance for their area.    

Are  you willing to write a check for it?  Because if we ensure it, that is how it will be paid for.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, sure and people who live in wooded areas shouldn't be allowed to build there because those areas are subject to fires.  People who have beach homes should be allowed to build them because beaches erode and homes can topple.  People who live on hills shouldn't be allowed to do that because if they neglect to set the parking break, their car can slide downhill.  And so forth and so on.