Esteemed Contributor

Re: Traffic Situation - How to Handle?

Traffic delays are a part of life.  It could be from weather, accidents, medical emergency, police activity etc.  First responders do the best they can to resolve as quickly as possible and allow traffic to resume to normal.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:
@RoughDraft wrote:

Are you really asking people on a shopping forum to make judgements on the value of a human life?

By the way, were they able to talk him down?

We discuss a lot of things here, life and death being a part of it. One life is priceless, yet, all the lives that were involved are priceless too.

Exactly.  Let’s think of everyone here.  If an ambulance tried to get through, then the driver can usually drive on the shoulder of the road to bypass the traffic.

Respected Contributor

Maybe install tall grated metal barriers on the overpasses so people can't jump. I have seen them on bridges,not sure if that would work though.

I do think, that they should at least have an alternate route and a way for drivers to make a u turn. I understand this person needed help, but not everyone can sit there for 16 hrs. 

Esteemed Contributor

How should situations like this be handled?  Not with armor piercing bullets, nets, tranquilizers or let him jump and especially NOT BY TELLING HIM TO JUMP which, according to the news article, was a primary reason for shutting down the road.

www.abqjournal.com/1128998/eastbound-interstate-40-shut-down.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Maybe install tall grated metal barriers on the overpasses so people can't jump. I have seen them on bridges,not sure if that would work though.

I do think, that they should at least have an alternate route and a way for drivers to make a u turn. I understand this person needed help, but not everyone can sit there for 16 hrs. 

I think @nun ya hit it on the head.  Don't make it accessible to people who are that desperate if it is such a regular problem in your area.

More importantly, I really hope that person is getting the help they needed.  I feel very sorry for them and very grateful the authorities waited them out.     

Honored Contributor

I think that hockynut said it best.Give a certain amount of time to the situation and then begin the rescue.People backed up for 16 hours had lives and schedules too.Maybe they were on their way to catch a flight,visit a dying loved one,maybe they needed their own life saving meds,or had a child to pick up from school.Sixteen hours without a bathroom,good or water is too long.

i feel sad for anyone who wants to take their own life but if they are truly serious about it they won't be stopped.I have known two people who chose to end their life and no one  was aware of their intentions.One man was at the gym the day before telling us all his usual jokes while working out on the weights.He was popular and friendly and none of us saw any changes or clues.

Esteemed Contributor

OK, looked up the incident .....   This happened on Sunday afternoon and the highway was reopened by 1 am.  Traffic was backed up for a few hours as drivers were forced off the highway to alternate routes.  While some trucks may have been stuck it is no where near the disaster some are assuming. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft, I see the OP's question just a topic of conversation....can't we do that...just talk?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

OK, looked up the incident .....   This happened on Sunday afternoon and the highway was reopened by 1 am.  Traffic was backed up for a few hours as drivers were forced off the highway to alternate routes.  While some trucks may have been stuck it is no where near the disaster some are assuming. 

Not a disaster? They closed the interstate at noon and it re-opened at 1:00 a.m.  That's 13 hours of being totally shut down.  That's more than a "few hours" of traffic being backed up.

Semi trucks aren't allowed to drive on any road they choose. 

Honored Contributor

Those calling for the "quickest and best solution" absolutely wouldn't feel that way if it were your loved one on that overpass.