Regular Contributor

I shop at Traders weekly. And they are much cheaper than Whole Foods. I don't always like the quality of some of their produce though. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess , the closest World Market for me is 2 hours away.  I went there once when I rode with a friend to go to a Dr. Appt.  I thoroughly enjoyed browsing it.  I know someone in my Sunday School Dept. used to get those gingersnap cookies and bring them in.  

I have heard so much about Trader Joe's I kept wishing we would get one.  Then, someone told me one day that Trader Joe & Aldi's were basically the same store, just in different parts of the country.  Apparently the two brothers split over selling cigarettes, or at least that was the story I was told.  We do have an Aldi's and one day I'm going to have to go there and check it out.  I guess I really need to make a list of all the wonderful TJ finds and see if my Aldi's have them.  I know what some people are talking about are seasonal items, but not all of them are.

Respected Contributor

I do enjoy TJ's.  I used to go there often because it was on the way home from the previous gym I frequented.  Since I have a different gym now, I don't go there often.  I miss all of the wonderful items. Frozen foods were wonderful.

As many others have stated, the parking is horrible.  I always feel like I am going to get my car hit getting in or out of the lot.  I live in a suburb. We have three different locations around areas that I drive through occasionally. All three have horrible parking situations. Perhaps the space, or lack thereof is leased for a lot less?

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest 

Oh my, yes!!!  I love their mac and cheese but I love the Guiltless M&C.   I bought the regular one time just to check it out and didn't like it.  But the Guiltless is great.   

I love TJ and shop there mainly but the store I really love is World Market.   I got a text from them this morning saying Happy Birthday.  Come in and get 15% off for the month of November. They have such different and such interesting things.  Lots of our house is from World Market.

Trusted Contributor

@jpie Your fears are not unfounded.  There is a TJ about 3 or  blocks from my house, and it is hard not to go there for all the goodies. Can't remembe the last time I was in an accident, but a lady backed into me there.  It is a circus in the parking lot.

Respected Contributor

@SleepyTime 

Me either.  I've thrown away more produce from TJ than all other grocery stores put together.  I love everything else there, though.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Great idea for hand cream gifts. I give campus coffee shop gift cards for my 3 office mates at work and adding a hand cream to the card would be perfect. Who doesn't like ginger? At work our division office mates go out to a movie for half day for our holiday party. Faculty Dean (my boss) is a theatre major and we have this joke -- our holiday party is sitting together in the dark and not speaking. It's always a Star Wars or something. But terrific. 

Our KS (where I work) Trader Joe's doesn't sell wine. Our MO (where I live) Trader Joe's does sell wine. They must think people living in the state of Misery need it. Bad joke. I'll stop. 

@jeanlake OKC store has lots of wine.  We go there occasionally, but so much of the store is frozen food and odds and ends it isn't a major shopping place for us. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

I go to Whole Foods fairly often, but never have been to the Trader Joe's since it is about 10 miles further south of us.

Does anyone go to both stores and can share the difference? I'm wondering if there a big enough difference to make it worth the trek...

@Susan Louise   We shop both. 

Trader Joe's has its own brands just like WF's has its 365 brand.  But TJ's is made up more of its own brands where WF's carries its own but also more diversity in other brand names.

TJ"s does not have a bulk section.

We have two TJ's and one is slightly larger.  Both are around the corner from a WF but  we do not always go to TJ'; WF is our main market.

In my experience, TJ's can have lower prices for produce, but also less organic, if that is an issue for you.  Yet sometimes with the sales at WF you get more for your $$.   TJ's has had some recalls on their bagged produce.  The produce isn't always as good looking as WF's produce, imo.

TJ's has a slew of frozen foods from appetizers to desserts, including international flavors. 

TJ's has a meat selection but it's all packaged; no person at a meat counter to wrap something you select or cut something for you.

We get our coffee at TJ's for price.  I also enjoy some of TJ's personal products like shampoo.

TJ's is a good market; it has everything including a nice wine selection. 

You have to comparison shop; try it once and see if it is worth your while.  You might find some things you like and you can always stock up a bit if the trip is not workable every week.

It's an experience and I think you might enjoy trying TJ's.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

My nephew manages a whole foods. I think it is bigger, but I prefer

Traders

@cherry AH!  LOVE Whole Foods!  They have great fruits and veggies, the meat dept in ours in excellent and the bulk California Brown Basmati Rice is the best I've found.  

We stocked up on organic apples last week.  They had quite a few varities, and lots of fall squash at a great price.

AND their 365 four cheese spaghetti sauce is my favorite. 

WF has lots of specials for Prime Members, and I get 5 percent back from my newly acquired Prime VISA I got just for that purpose!  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

@jpie Your fears are not unfounded.  There is a TJ about 3 or  blocks from my house, and it is hard not to go there for all the goodies. Can't remembe the last time I was in an accident, but a lady backed into me there.  It is a circus in the parking lot.

_____

@VegasBusinessWoman I am so sorry that your car got damaged.