Honored Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's - America's Favorite Grocery Store

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Northern CA seems to have changed stores in the area to carry more and more ready-made food, fresh or frozen.  People aren't cooking much anymore, not in younger generations, they're too busy to shop and prep food.  Makes sense to me, as long as it's not full of chemicals.

Here, TJ's offers a lot of ready made food.  I love their fresh cooked beets, I don't like peeling beets myself.  For today and tomorrow, I got two Costco roast chickens.  Chicken for dinner, and chicken sandwiches over the weekend.

I also love their teryiaki frozen chicken, nice pieces and not heavy or gooey.

Works for me.

I absolutely love beets @Noel7 but they are the biggest pain because they are so messy. I will have to check these out because no matter how careful I am it always looks like I murdered someone when I am done. I usually peel and they roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper and I still end up making a mess.

Sorry you have not been feeling well lately. Heart

@Irshgrl31201:  I buy my beets at Costco in the refrigerated section, peeled and vacuum sealed.  No more peeling for me.  They are great....

Oh my goodness @Hoovermom I had totally forgotten about those beets at Costco! . . . since it's just me now I rarely go but will remember to check them out next time I wander over there as I love beets . . . thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe, I enjoy going to Marianos,I was so glad when one opened 7-10 minutes from me. I agree with you that the employees seem happy, anyone that I've ever dealt with on one my shopping trips there has always been pleasant & friendly, willing to help you find something that you might need, or answering any questions that you might have.

I like to buy their freshly made juices, the orange juice & beet juice specifically. There have been several instance when they didn't have any beet juice in the refrigerated case. I asked one of the employees that was in the produce area about  the beet juice. They paged the person that makes the fresh juices. I was asked how big of a bottle I wanted & then told to come back in 20 minutes, the juice would be ready for me.

I'm not aware of what happened to the gentleman who owns/runs Marianos. I have to say he is doing a great job. I've run into people at Marianos' who used to shop at Caputo's, which is a local small grocery store. All of them, me included, are so glad that we don't have to go to Caputo's any more. The produce at Marianos is a little more expensive but the quality is much better than the quality of the produce that Caputo's sells.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 the gentlemen that now runs Mariano's was an executive with Dominick's that was unceremoniously dumped when Safeway came in.  He got together with a few of the other folks that had been let go and now we have Mariano's which to me is Dominick's on steroids.

I used to shop at a Caputo's on Ogden Avenue in DG and was always disappointed in their produced.  It would look ok in the store but wouldn't last when I brought it home plus I found them to be not very interested in being helpful or interested in helping throughout the store.  I don't have that problem with Mariano's produce but I also realize there are two separate Caputo's which have had some legal entanglements so I don't know which faction owns that particular store.

I am lucky to have a Shop and Save Market by me, best produce for the money I have ever seen!

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe, I've never seen a Shop & Save in the area where I live ( Bloomingdale, Addison, Bartlett, Hanover Park, Schaumburg) It's Costco, Sams, Jewel-Osco, Marianos, Target, Trader Joes, Whole Food, Meijer, Tony's or Aldi in this area. There are also small, locally known grocery stores I've never set foot in.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 I used to live in the Lombard/Villa Park area but now live on the edge of DG . . . I have to say much better shopping out here and I am happy that a Pete's Fresh Market will be opening up although they can be hit or miss for me but they have the best olive oil I have ever tasted . . .  tee hee!

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Northern CA seems to have changed stores in the area to carry more and more ready-made food, fresh or frozen.  People aren't cooking much anymore, not in younger generations, they're too busy to shop and prep food.  Makes sense to me, as long as it's not full of chemicals.

Here, TJ's offers a lot of ready made food.  I love their fresh cooked beets, I don't like peeling beets myself.  For today and tomorrow, I got two Costco roast chickens.  Chicken for dinner, and chicken sandwiches over the weekend.

I also love their teryiaki frozen chicken, nice pieces and not heavy or gooey.

Works for me.

I absolutely love beets @Noel7 but they are the biggest pain because they are so messy. I will have to check these out because no matter how careful I am it always looks like I murdered someone when I am done. I usually peel and they roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper and I still end up making a mess.

Sorry you have not been feeling well lately. Heart

@Irshgrl31201:  I buy my beets at Costco in the refrigerated section, peeled and vacuum sealed.  No more peeling for me.  They are great....

Oh my goodness @Hoovermom, how in the world did I miss this? Thank you SO MUCH for the tip. I am making a trip over there on Monday so I will definitely pick these up! Thanks so much.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@sunshine45

Thanks so much for the info about The Fresh Market - will check them out!

@yellowBeetle I second @sunshine45 with her opinion of Fresh Market. I really love mine. They are more expensive but the quality is really great and the customer service is also. Great store all around. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

Thanks for your post about The Fresh Market! Really looking forward to trying it!

Honored Contributor

There are so many choices but unless I'm looking for a specialty item, or need to run in and out quickly, I'll take my chain grocery store.  It's clean, updated, gets fresh produce daily and overall has the best prices. 

There is also a huge parking lot!