Honored Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's - America's Favorite Grocery Store

@Noel7 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Most if the grocery stores on that list including Traders Joes is not in the area where I live. I have never even heard of them.

i don't know where that poll was taken, but it certainly wasn't in Pennsylvania.

@Carmie

There are three in Penn:  Englishtown, State College and Jenkintown?  I may not have that last one correct.

Those are eastern to central Pa.

Honored Contributor

The spatchcock chicken was a miss for me.  I thought it had a strange undertaste, It was moist and tender, but just not as good as I had hoped

I like TJ's ,but I want to be truthful ,and as honest as I can, about the products I try from there

Honored Contributor

i will take THE FRESH MARKET over trader joes any day of the week!

we have one within five miles of us and i rarely go inside.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

My Fresh Market is best on some things, too--not the place to go if you need Chlorox but excellent on certain food, fruit, veg, and flower items.

Honored Contributor

I think there's one in Albuquerque but it's too far to drive for groceries so I've never been in a Trader Joe's.  Since last fall when they started their shopping service, I've gotten 100% of my groceries at Walmart.  It takes me less than 30 minutes to drive there, pick up my groceries and get back home.  I've been extremely pleased with the service.   They cherry pick the produce for you so you get the nicest.  It's been great. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I do like Trader Joes a lot but the one near us has such a small parking area it is literally impossible to find a place to park no matter what time you go.

Same here.  There are two TJ's near me and both parking lots are much too small.  I wonder if that's intentional - surely, when TJ's plans a store, it can accurately forecast parking requirements - or just poor planning.  In either case, I lump it, with other examples, under "poor customer service."  

FWIW, TJs always seem to have "small", packed parking lots. They are not the same size in square footage as a large chain grocery, so why would their parking lots be the size of a much larger square footage store? That doesn't make sense.

The lots are packed because the stores are full of (happy) customers.

Poor customer service? Customer service is their best asset. Their employees are cheerful and helpful. They are well-paid and also financially invested in the company. They promote from within. Any of them will stop what they're doing and check anything for you, bring stock out from the warehouse, offer to put an arriving item aside for you. They always have multiple check-outs open. Everyone who shops there is in a good mood.

So is there a happiness checker at the door who won't let you in unless you're bright 'n' perky, or are they piping aerosolized MDMA through the HVAC?

Methinks you have an extremely rosy picture of TJs. A lot of people like working there, a lot of people like shopping there, but not  everyone, and there are articles to prove the point.

It's a store that sells fancy foods. It doesn't even sell Brawny. It's not in the same class as most of the other stores listed, and shouldn't have been included in the survey, IMO.

Besides, Wegman's rules, even though their cat litter selection is pathetic.

Honored Contributor

@Blk&GoldFan wrote:

@Carmie   Depends where you live in PA.  We have (3) in the Pittsburgh area.

I am in the Harrisburg area.  We have a Giant Store and Aldi and 30 minutes away there is a Wegmans, which is new.  

I have been in a few of the southern grocery stores when we have traveled, but never a Traders Joes.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i will take THE FRESH MARKET over trader joes any day of the week!

we have one within five miles of us and i rarely go inside.

I LOVE Fresh Market too @sunshine45! Just walking into that beautiful store makes me happy!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I do like Trader Joes a lot but the one near us has such a small parking area it is literally impossible to find a place to park no matter what time you go.

Same here.  There are two TJ's near me and both parking lots are much too small.  I wonder if that's intentional - surely, when TJ's plans a store, it can accurately forecast parking requirements - or just poor planning.  In either case, I lump it, with other examples, under "poor customer service."  

FWIW, TJs always seem to have "small", packed parking lots. They are not the same size in square footage as a large chain grocery, so why would their parking lots be the size of a much larger square footage store? That doesn't make sense.

The lots are packed because the stores are full of (happy) customers.

Poor customer service? Customer service is their best asset. Their employees are cheerful and helpful. They are well-paid and also financially invested in the company. They promote from within. Any of them will stop what they're doing and check anything for you, bring stock out from the warehouse, offer to put an arriving item aside for you. They always have multiple check-outs open. Everyone who shops there is in a good mood.

So is there a happiness checker at the door who won't let you in unless you're bright 'n' perky, or are they piping aerosolized MDMA through the HVAC?

Methinks you have an extremely rosy picture of TJs. A lot of people like working there, a lot of people like shopping there, but not  everyone, and there are articles to prove the point.

It's a store that sells fancy foods. It doesn't even sell Brawny. It's not in the same class as most of the other stores listed, and shouldn't have been included in the survey, IMO.

Besides, Wegman's rules, even though their cat litter selection is pathetic.

@noodleann

Nope, Wegman's dropped three points.  They didn't rule this year.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@jpie, you know Aldi's and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company.

Aldi's was just starting to move into my area when I moved hundreds of miles, so I missed out. One day, there may be one within an hour's drive from me and I can check it out. I really want to!

________

Yes, I did know that they are owned by the same family.  I hope you get an Aldi's soon.  It doesn't have any frills, but oh my, the prices on groceries and household items (featured weekly) are so much less than a regular grocery store.