Valued Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's - America's Favorite Grocery Store

I love Sprouts and Costco...we eat all organic as we both had cancer. Costco has so much organic produce and frozen things it is great.  Sprouts is great too.

TJ has too much cakes etc that we can't eat..Sprouts does too but I just pass on them.  The rest of the stuff I get at Walmart as they are cheapest.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Carmie   Depends where you live in PA.  We have (3) in the Pittsburgh area.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

They are rated poor customer service because of a small parking lot?  That doesn't make sense to me.

I think I said..."among other examples."   I know most people rave about their service but that hasn't been my experience.  No express check-out, items out of stock or hard to find while contending with crowds in a small store - and all that after circling the postage-stamp sized lot for some time waiting for a spot to open.  Not a fun experience.  Sure, the workers are cheerful, but oftentimes eccentric and goofy.  Easy to handle if you have all the time in the world but not if you're in a hurry.

@ValuSkr

Not sure what you mean by express check-out, but all around here, we have four, have a line for ten items or less.  They are all fast, mostly young people bagging and ringing up, much faster than our Safeway or Lucky's.  I see customer service as how employees behave, not parking lots.  Just a difference in interpretation, it seems.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I've shopped in CA and agree that roads can be stressful, and the supermarkets are nothing to write home about.  But here (on the East Coast) we have many beautiful stress-free options with very good service - Wegmans is one, and they've upped the ante for others.  Publix is also very good.  They generally have more than enough parking, large well-stocked produce, good service, etc.  For me and others I know, TJ's is a specialty store - interesting things, especially frozen - but not a regular supermarket.  From talking with others, I think TJ stores are quite a bit different on the West Coast.  Here, TJ's produce section is about 1/10 the size of that in a supermarket (if that) and actually not very alluring compared to what we find at, for example, Wegmans.

This is what I find to be true as well at least for me and my friends who do shop there. More of a speciality store where we get certain items that everyone loves. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

They are rated poor customer service because of a small parking lot?  That doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know if you were speaking to me or not because I did mention that. I do love Trader Joes, I would definitely shop there more often if I could get in. I don't think this is the fault of TJs as much as I do the builders of these plazas where I live. It is a problem if there is no place to park though. I have tried to shop there many different times of the day and different days but it doesn't seem to matter when I go. Our store is very small. I don't know how big or little other stores are because I have only been to mine. It is so small that you cannot comfortably browse the aisles and stop to look at something in the freezer section, produce, etc.. because there is always someone who is trying to get into there too. This happens even during hours that would be considered the slower hours. 

When I shop I usually shop at more than one store. Iget my paper products and cleaning supplies at Costco, I get my fruits and veg mainly from my CSA but do get things they don't have at other stores. I don't get my fruits and veg from TJ because they just don't have the best quality like they do at other stores. I don't know if that is just my store or others too. I also don't mind that I can't get everything I need there because Iike I said I do shop at Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Aldis and Costco and I get certain things from each store that I like but I could never get all my grocery needs at TJs, not even close to it. Maybe about 40% or so. They don't have all the fish, meat, breads, frozen items, etc.. that I need. When I shopped at Wegmans I could get nearly every food item I needed there. It doesn't make me like TJs any less but that with the difficulty of getting a parking place, not being able to browse without being in someones way or someone being in mine just makes it not as appealing to me. Now I don't mind parking and then walking but most of the time an available parking place is on the complete other side of the plaza which is close to a quarter of a mile away. That is difficult when I have my grandson because there are no cart corrals over in that area. 

Hi @Irshgrl31201. No, sorry, I didn't have a chance to read your post.  The TJs around here are in more or less neighborhood small shopping areas where there aren't plentiful parking areas.

They just opened one in downtown SF and put up big signs saying there would be NO PARKING.  There, they cater to people working in big building officres, not residences.  Interesting, imo, my daughter has been there a couple of times and they are always packed.

Honored Contributor

I do like TJ, and I do shop there.  That being said, I prefer Meijer or Kroger as I can find everything I need.  I also love our Market District (Giant Eagle supersized), but it's a bit more expensive unless you get their loss leaders.  They have a great wine department and they have great produce.

Trader Joe's is for a few items.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I've shopped in CA and agree that roads can be stressful, and the supermarkets are nothing to write home about.  But here (on the East Coast) we have many beautiful stress-free options with very good service - Wegmans is one, and they've upped the ante for others.  Publix is also very good.  They generally have more than enough parking, large well-stocked produce, good service, etc.  For me and others I know, TJ's is a specialty store - interesting things, especially frozen - but not a regular supermarket.  From talking with others, I think TJ stores are quite a bit different on the West Coast.  Here, TJ's produce section is about 1/10 the size of that in a supermarket (if that) and actually not very alluring compared to what we find at, for example, Wegmans.

This is what I find to be true as well at least for me and my friends who do shop there. More of a speciality store where we get certain items that everyone loves. 

@Irshgrl31201

Basically, that is true imo.  It's not a supermarket, they don't carry regular items, the are an alternative store.  A lot of ethnic foods, a lot of specialty items, and a lot of organic, vegetarian and vegan foods.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde, I wish we had one-it's a hike!

Over on the Diabetes thread, you posted that picture of the vegetarian marsala patties-but we get a brand at Publix with that same picture that you showed, and TJ's is probably cheaper! It wasn't until I went back to your post and realized it had the TJ brand.

Shoe Kitty-a cancer survivor who really pays close attention regaled me with foods she would buy there that I could only dream of-at such great prices-California and all!  (It seems to be a state notoriously high with cost of living): I don't know that for a fact these days....every state seems to have that trait!!!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Dreamin' of TJ's frozen scallion pancakes ( Chinese) sound divine.  I made them once from scratch: labor intensive!

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

Basically, that is true imo.  It's not a supermarket, they don't carry regular items, the are an alternative store.  A lot of ethnic foods, a lot of specialty items, and a lot of organic, vegetarian and vegan foods.

And this is another thing I like about TJs.  For a small store, they have a lot of vegan options.  Although I try to eat mostly whole food, plant based, I still "need" my vegan treats!  At Thanksgiving, they have a delicious turkeyless roast (with a wonderful gravy), so I always buy about three to get me through the holidays. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had a mixed experience with Trader Joe's while visiting up in Maine, esp. buying wine for a family party.  Followed the rep's suggestions and thought, "huh?"

I like Publix, a southern chain that started in FL, a lot. Excellent employees and customer service, fair prices, getting better with the selection of organic vegetables.