Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's - America's Favorite Grocery Store

I couldn't resist posting this - kinda surprised no one else has. I know that every TJs thread brings out the "Why I Don't Like TJs", "Why I'm Not Impressed with TJs", etc. But this is a survey of 70,000 people across the country.  Hee! Go, TJ's!

By WCVB

BOSTON —
Americans have a new favorite grocery store.

The annual ratings come from the American Customer Satisfaction Index, which interviews about 70,000 consumers every year. Results for each store are measured on a scale of 0-100, with the highest levels of satisfaction at the top of the scale.

Overall, satisfaction with supermarkets was 78 percent. That's up nearly 7 percent from the year before.

Trader Joe's sits atop the 2016 supermarket results, with a rating of 86 percent. That chain had grown from 300 stores in 2013 to 460 by the end of last year.

Only one store on the list declined from its high rating. Wegmans, which had a rating of 86 percent a year ago, dipped 3 percentage points -- enough to move the chain down into to a three-way tie for third place.

Top 18 grocery stores for customer satisfaction:

Trader Joe's - 86%
Publix - 84%
ALDI - 83%
H-E-B - 83%
Wegmans - 83%
Whole Foods - 81%
Other - 79%
Hy-Vee - 79%
Kroger - 79%
ShopRite - 79%
Meijer - 78%
Target - 78%
Southeastern Grocers - 77%
Ahold Delhaize (Food Lion, Stop & Shop, Hannaford) - 76%
SUPERVALU - 76%
Albertsons Companies - 75%
Giant Eagle - 74%
Walmart - 67%

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's - America's Favorite Grocery Store

I do like Trader Joes a lot but the one near us has such a small parking area it is literally impossible to find a place to park no matter what time you go. It is always so packed, you can't stop to look at products for more than a second otherwise no one else can. While I love it, this has been enough to make me stop shopping there with the frequency I once did. I love Wegmans and miss it desperately, for me that place is the best and they are opening one here this year and I cannot wait.

They did open up a Sprouts near us. I had never heard of this one before. Does anyone here shop there and is there anything you can tell me about what would be best to get there?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I like Trader Joe's and shop there often. But calling it a grocery store is a stretch. I could never do all my shopping there. But I can do all my shopping to host bookgroup there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I like Trader Joe's and shop there often. But calling it a grocery store is a stretch. I could never do all my shopping there. But I can do all my shopping to host bookgroup there. 

I agree.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde

This is interesting!  I have always enjoyed shopping at TJ's, but it is a bit out of my regular path of travel, so I don't go there often.

Aldi's has been my main go-to for most items that I don't buy at Costco or Sam's.

Honored Contributor

Most if the grocery stores on that list including Traders Joes is not in the area where I live. I have never even heard of them.

i don't know where that poll was taken, but it certainly wasn't in Pennsylvania.

Honored Contributor

Great news!  We go to TJs at least once a week and love it. Of course it's a grocery store.  You may not be able to get huge packs of Brawny there, but you get wonderful foods for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.  

I also love it that there's always something new and fun there.  The staff is consistently friendly and helpful.  

70,000 people can't be wrong 😁

Respected Contributor

Not in my world...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They surveyed people across the country but some of these stores are not all across the country. Publix & Wegmans are both stores that are inb only small areas of the country - publix in the SE & wegmans in the NE.I did not even recognize the name of some of the stores mentioned.  Anyway , IMO, it is not an accurate survey since Trader Joes is much more familiar across the country than the other stores.

Also Trader Joes is not a full out grocery store like the others. You couldn't make your grocery list for a weeks shopping and go there and find everything on the list.But I can do that at Publix or Wegmanns.

Honored Contributor

We are having their spatchcock chicken tonight. I got the lemon rosemary one. They also have one with a coffee rub ,that didn't appeal to me at all

I love shopping there