Honored Contributor

Any one have real knowledge about cars? Any mechanic on here ? I f you do not know ,please do not respond to my post ,my suv,is 22 yrs,old, yes 22 yrs.old 126,000 miles on it, my traction control is going, my mechanic said it would be very expensive to fix, did not say how much ,i will ask this week, i can not buy a new one,may have to look at leasing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

YYou can Google a ballpark answer to this; just include year, make and model.

Honored Contributor

Re: Traction control on car

[ Edited ]

Regardless of how much it costs, it will still be cheaper than a new car!  

Do you need all of the switches/sensors replaced?

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest Without knowing the make and model it's hard to give you anything better than the average cost for an ABS control module replacement is between $912 and $1086.  However the average price for a traction control switch replacement cost typically ranges between $80 and $90 for most makes, models.  However some older models cannot be repaired.  So googling your make, model and year might give you a better idea.  

Respected Contributor

Your question is vague, no matter if a person is knowledgeable or not.  It is not possible to provide any kind of potential estimate without knowing exactly what the problem is!  The mechanic might not even know until he starts taking the car apart. Something like traction control must be fixed to keep the car safe to operate.

My husband and I have never leased and we never will, but my brother leases all the time.

My car is 24 years old and I love it, because it is no longer made.  It is a small car with a nice engine, and when it is all fixed it runs superbly (and fast). I have almost 190,000 miles. We have spent thousands replacing and fixing parts because --it is cheaper than buying a new car AND based on the blue book value, the fix is still less than the value.  Sometimes my mechanic has to scrounge for parts from junk yards if the part is no longer made.

On the other hand, my husband drives larger cars, and we use them until they wear out and our mechanic says--this car is no longer fixable for the value!  We usually try to get over 200,000 miles, and then we donate the car to charity. I think the bigger cars like vans and suvs have less shelf life, especially if they have more electronic parts. We now only buy used vans/suvs, a few years old, to get a fair price.  There are a lot of great values in used cars if you know how to shop (cars just out of lease, cars from rental agencies or government agencies). Also consider adding on a service agreement for several more years--could be very handy.

Leasing gives you a new car without a long-term commitment, but it is a bit costly, and your mileage is limited if you drive a lot or far distances. Plus, it is more like a rental car, so you must take excellent care.

The questions to ask are--can the mechanic fix your suv at a price you can afford so it will still be completely safe to drive?  Is this car just too old to keep putting money into it? Do you have any desire to shop for a used car before considering leasing? You can check the website Carvana to get an idea what might be available in your area.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Any one have real knowledge about cars? Any mechanic on here ? I f you do not know ,please do not respond to my post ,my suv,is 22 yrs,old, yes 22 yrs.old 126,000 miles on it, my traction control is going, my mechanic said it would be very expensive to fix, did not say how much ,i will ask this week, i can not buy a new one,may have to look at leasing.

@goldensrbest 

You need to be more specific. Traction Control involves the Drive Wheels. Some have only Rear Wheel Drive, others have 4-Wheel Drive, others have All Wheel Drive. Most new 2-Wheel Drive Vehicles have only Front Wheel Drive, depending on the model. More Top of the Line Models come with some sort of 4-wheel drive.

All of them operate differently. Most 4-Wheel Drive vehicles give the driver the option to use only the Rear Wheel Drive, or put it into all 4-Wheel Drive. All Wheel Drive means All wheels are powered All of the time.

I can't imagine taking a car to any mechanic and them saying "it will be very expensive to fix". I would think they would be more specific in describing exactly what needs to be fixed in a Drive Train. There are many parts in all Drive Trains, very few of which are real cheap to fix. At what dollar($$$) amount does it become Expensive? 

A Wheel Bearing will be much cheaper to fix than an Axle. And Axle will be much cheaper to fix than a Differential, and so on. Much of the cost for Wheel Bearings and Axles are Labor Costs. When you get to a Differential, you are talking both Parts and Labor.

I know car parts and have replaced many over the years. When you get into computer operated newer vehicles, diagnosing them is not in my book of knowledge. I can tell when it is a Drive Train problem, because it involves the same Mechanics on all vehicles, to some degree. But Electronics on vehicles? A whole different story with my experience from years of Auto Racing.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Traction control on car

[ Edited ]

When the light comes on, stop by an Auto Zone or other parts store. Ask them to read the code with their hand held device. It's free of charge. Once you have the code you can Google it for likely causes.

Another inexpensive option is Just Answer. Search for your vehicle and the code or traction control light.

Then find another mechanic or ask for rec's at the auto parts store.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy 

@goldensrbest  said her SUV was 22 years old. It appears from reading other posts, she might be talking about the ABS(auto brake system). If so, that feature did not become standard equipment until 2004. Out SUV is a 2004, so it came Standard equipped. Had we bought a 2003 model, it would have been a, paid for, option.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Traction control is a feature that many "recreational" drivers turn off. (At least in cars where you can turn it off.) They like to have more control (or lack thereof) of the car.

Traction control is typically one of the three-part systems of traction control, stability control, and anti-lock brakes that all work together. All three typically work together so when you tell the car to accelerate or turn it does so in a safe manner. 

Traction control typically controls the ABS and power to the wheels to keep the car from skidding or fishtailing around corners. (Something "recreational" drivers sometimes like to do which is why they turn it off.) Stability control helps to prevent rollovers from top-heavy SUVs, and the antilock brakes ensure that all four wheels brake evenly without one locking up. 

Do you "need" traction control? Well, it depends. Before 1971 no cars had traction control. If you drive slowly and carefully, don't speed, aren't aggressive, and only drive in good weather, you probably don't "need" traction control. 

I'd get it fixed regardless of the cost as failing to do so could get you in trouble should there be an accident. Insurance companies look for reasons not to pay claims. A malfunctioning traction control system that you were aware of but chose not to get fixed, whether it played a role in the crash or not, could be a reason for them to ignore a claim and cost you more than fixing the system. The cost to fix it could be anywhere from a few hundred dollars (for a malfunctioning sensor or two) to thousands of dollars if the computer that controls everything has failed. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn , It is a 2000 M CLASS, they just said what i posted, it would be very expensive to fix,but like is said cars cost so much.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.