Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

A pessimist's label for someone with a positive attitude.

Things have to balance out or they tip over.  Too much positivity ends up not being a good thing. 

Honored Contributor

Has nothing to do with current meaningless buzzwords. It's more about callous dismissive responses to emotional pain.   From the Verywell website:   How to Avoid Toxic Positivity

If you’ve been affected by toxic positivity—or if you recognize this kind of behavior in yourself— there are things that you can do to develop a healthier, more supportive approach. Some ideas include:

• Manage your negative emotions, but don't deny them. Negative emotions can cause stress when unchecked,2 but they can also provide important information that can lead to beneficial changes in your life.
  • Be realistic about what you should feel. When you are facing a stressful situation, it’s normal to feel stressed, worried, or even fearful. Don’t expect too much from yourself. Focus on self-care and taking steps that can help improve your situation.
  • It’s okay to feel more than one thing. If you are facing a challenge, it’s possible to feel nervous about the future and also hopeful that you will succeed. Your emotions are as complex as the situation itself. 
  • Focus on listening to others and showing support. When someone expresses a difficult emotion, don’t shut them down with toxic platitudes. Instead, let them know that what they are feeling is normal and that you are there to listen. 
  • Notice how you feel. Following “positive” social media accounts can sometimes serve as a source of inspiration but pay attention to how you feel after you view and interact with such content. If you are left with a sense of shame or guilt after seeing “uplifting” posts, it might be due to toxic positivity. In such cases, consider limiting your social media consumption.

Give yourself permission to feel your feelings. Instead of trying to avoid difficult emotions, give yourself permission to feel them. These feelings are real, valid, and important. They can provide information and help you see things about a situation that you need to work to change.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you should act on every emotion that you feel. Sometimes it is important to sit with them and give yourself the time and space to process the situation before you take action. 

So when you are going through something hard, think about ways to give voice to your emotions in a way that is productive. Write in a journal. Talk to a friend. Research suggests that just putting what you are feeling into words can help lower the intensity of those negative feelings.3

"Toxic Statements
  • Just stay positive!

• Good vibes only!

• It could be worse.

• Things happen for a reason.

• Failure isn't an option.

• Happiness is a choice.

Non-Toxic Alternatives
  • I'm listening.

• I'm here no matter what.

• That must be really hard.

• Sometimes bad things happen. How can I help?

• Failure is sometimes part of life.

• Your feelings are valid."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

A pessimist's label for someone with a positive attitude.

@Foxxee 

No, I don’t think this is correct. 

An example is someone telling the person who has just lost his leg to be grateful because he still has the other leg. Or telling someone who has lost his home to be thankful he can live out of his car because not everyone who is homeless has a car.

Honored Contributor

Re: Toxic Positivity

[ Edited ]

@GrailSeeker wrote:

Also, maybe, related to the so called ad hominen or personal attack:

Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), short for argumentum ad hominem, refers to several types of arguments, some but not all of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

@GrailSeeker 

This is what your post brought to my mind.  So often people criticize the speaker rather than the content. However, I don't see anything positive about it. 

It's akin to shooting the messenger.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

Also, maybe, related to the so called ad hominen or personal attack:

Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), short for argumentum ad hominem, refers to several types of arguments, some but not all of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

@GrailSeeker 

This is what your post brought to my mind.  So often some people criticize the speaker rather than the content. However, I don't see any positivity in it.

Yes, this was more in the direction I was thinking of.  

Honored Contributor

Toxic positivity is sometimes a problem in the workplace. Overworked managers who tell you, "Don't bring me problems, only bring me solutions!" A little of that is sensible and constructive. But too much of it means crucial problems that might not have easy immediate solutions are never brought up.

If taken to extremes, toxic positivity leads to delusion and living in an alternate reality where the person becomes too sensitive to listen to anything that could contradict their vision or bring them down. When reality finally punctures the bubble, it's devastating, so they do everything they can to avoid that. Narcissists do this a lot.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Re: Toxic Positivity

[ Edited ]

@GrailSeeker 

Whilst I personally agree with YOU, this is one of the examples of the meaning per Google (a search engine I almost never use): 

Toxic positivity is the belief that no matter how dire or difficult a situation is, people should maintain a positive mindset. It's a "good vibes only" approach to life.

They also stated:

Examples of toxic positivity phrases are:

“Don't worry about it.” “It could be worse.” “Don't be so negative.” “Always look on the bright side!” “Everything happens for a reason.”

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

"Lately I am noticing a trend to minimize dissenting opinions about all kinds of little things by referring to such opinions as shameful or nasty, when nothing shameful or nasty at all was said. It was  just a dissenting opinion."  

"When the words shameful and nasty were used, they appeared to be in effort to support the positive opinion by severely minimizing the opinion that said "no" by calling it shameful and nasty."

@GrailSeeker 

The above are not recent occurrences to me. I have been aware of them for years. The difference, in my view? 

Things like reading and/or seeing/hearing the media, are places that have done this for a long time. The difference? They used to at least like to "thinly veil" what they meant, now it is explicitly said and shown.

Toxic positivity? No reason to discuss any topic, only one person/groups are right, and positively!  No decent allowed PERIOD!

TOXIC---   Pervasive/Insidious 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

@GrailSeeker 

Whilst I personally agree with YOU, this is one of the examples of the meaning per Google (a search engine I almost never use): 

Toxic positivity is the belief that no matter how dire or difficult a situation is, people should maintain a positive mindset. It's a "good vibes only" approach to life.

They also stated:

Examples of toxic positivity phrases are:

“Don't worry about it.” “It could be worse.” “Don't be so negative.” “Always look on the bright side!” “Everything happens for a reason.”

Another example I thought of was Dale Carnegie's book How To Win Friends And Influence People. It was actually quite manipulative, under the guise of being positive.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

"Lately I am noticing a trend to minimize dissenting opinions about all kinds of little things by referring to such opinions as shameful or nasty, when nothing shameful or nasty at all was said. It was  just a dissenting opinion."  

"When the words shameful and nasty were used, they appeared to be in effort to support the positive opinion by severely minimizing the opinion that said "no" by calling it shameful and nasty."

@GrailSeeker 

The above are not recent occurrences to me. I have been aware of them for years. The difference, in my view? 

Things like reading and/or seeing/hearing the media, are places that have done this for a long time. The difference? They used to at least like to "thinly veil" what they meant, now it is explicitly said and shown.

Toxic positivity? No reason to discuss any topic, only one person/groups are right, and positively!  No decent allowed PERIOD!

TOXIC---   Pervasive/Insidious 

hckynut 

Yes