Honored Contributor

Right now my cell phone is burning up!  Well, not literally but figuratively!

I have one daughter who's been touring Europe for 2 weeks.  Her teenage daughters were cruising before that for 2 weeks (they'll have been gone 1 month).

I also have another daughter who just left yesterday to travel out West from Colorado to California.  She's camping and will be gone for 2 weeks.

Between the two of them my phone is constantly beeping.  They send me videos, pictures, you name it from everywhere they are and are going.

It feels like I'm right there with them!  I could never keep up with them though.  The daughter in Italy right now walked a bridge for 8.5 miles!  She said in the bridge were jewelry stores the entire way.  It sounded amazing...that was 2 days ago.

The one camping everywhere just sent a video of Utah and the landscape (absolutely beautiful).

The daughter in Naples was so upset.  She said it was the filthiest place she'd ever been.  She said there are needles and feces in the streets.  She is there to see the amazing fresco and statues.  She's sending me pictures.  

We traveled all over Europe with them when my husband was alive but we didn't go to Naples for that reason.  She said it was sad that so many beautiful things were in such a terrible place.  But some of it is owned by the same families since the 16th century.  They charge to see it.

I figured I should post this (accolades on the virtues of cellphones) since I recently have been boo hooing about the loss of privacy with the invention of Smart TV's and (you guessed it....cell phones).  Ha!

I never take for granted the way my youngest daughter calls me and we do face time.  She holds up the phone so I can feel what she's experiencing as she visits every baseball field in the country....Hummm??

I've experienced (for just a minute or two along with her) so many concerts across the country, football games, places I'd never be able to physically go any longer.  It's fun and it helps us keep in touch.  It feels like she's never left home even though she just turned 38 years old.

I think I sound like an add for iphones!  It's because I'm telling people who don't have cell phones where they can do face time, to get one!  It's worth every penny and it helps you keep in touch with family.

I've had one since they first came out.  I gripe and complain about them (see above) but I wouldn't give it up for anything.  

My family is my life!  I'm sure you people feel the same way.  My friend could afford to get an iphone or similar.  Yet she keeps saying, "I wouldn't know how to work it'.

That's a cop out!  I often get asked by people, "How do you know how to connect to the internet?  How do you know how to do this or that with the gadgets?"

I say (holding up my index finger), "You see this finger?"  They say, "Yes!  Of course I do".  

I say, "I take this finger and touch buttons.  I read what to touch and when to touch it, then I touch the button.  Magic happens then".

Really!  It doesn't take smarts to get connected to the internet or to figure out how to make 'things' work.  

I just wish more people (my friend included) would take the leap and join in.  There's magic out there people!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66This is a fantastic post!  Your daughters are wonderful for including you in their experiences, and you are the better for enjoying their marvelous adventures right along with them.  That's a lovely testament to your relationship with them. 

Life is large!  Technology is not the what's bad with the world (contrary to what I see written so often), it's all in how you use it.  Be smart, be safe, and enjoy life!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Thanks for the much needed reminder that there is a lot of good with today's technology, and you and your family are using it in the way I believe it was intended when developed. 

It's sad that so many have made it a bad thing as well, but I guess you will have that with just about anything.

So glad they are keeping you 'in the loop' and you get to experience the things that they do, when they do. 

Technology certainly can be an amazing thing!

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

When PC’s came out, when cell phones, when iPhones, when iPads came out, someone showed me how to do things.  They were patient with me and understood when I had to create “ notes “ on sequencing of items....I.e., buttons to push, icons to handle, etc.

I learned a lot and, in turn, am patient with others who are venturing into the technology arena.

Helping your reluctant friends pick out iPads or iPhones and then demonstrating how to use them for simple and then more complex uses will open their worlds beyond their imagination.  They will remember your kindness a long time.

When we get really old, we will be able to do FaceTime !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio A good post.  I totally agree.  Everything I see though I see people with their phones out video-taping tragedies and personal times.

Even on the TV shows I watch  (in order to make it more realistic) you see people holding out their phones immediately AFTER an accident.

I understand it can be helpful for some of these videos, but, unfortunately, I think they are sold or used for things other than to help.

Sometimes I hesitate to post some things here because I understand how the internet works, but then I think, well, I'm sure there are people (like this person I know) who could really benefit from not being afraid of technology and be willing to use it.  I always say that if I can figure it out, anyone can.  

I've never had any kind of computer classes or extensive 'how to' lessons.  Whenever my family has tried to show me 'how to' they (and I do also) get so frustrated, I usually end up saying, "Never mind!  I'll figure it out myself" and I usually do by not being afraid to TRY IT!

Although I have to admit my youngest daughter is amazing when it comes to patience.  I don't know where she gets it from though!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

You are blessed to have family that include you in their life, it does sound so wonderful.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Isn't family wonderful!   And isn't modern techonology a miracle!  It keeps us connected wherever in the world we find ourselves but it's more than connected, we get to share experiences as they are happening.  

Honored Contributor

So funny!  She said he just bought a Louis Vuitton belt for 10 Euros!  I said, "Sure!  And do ya think it's real?"  I'm sure his friends will know who Louis Vuitton is....Ha!  I told you he thinks he's a ladies man!  So funny!  She sent me a picture of it.  This is making what would be a boring Sunday much more fun!