Esteemed Contributor

Re: Touching....or just too weird?

Scary! I can't even watch videos of my deceased dogs!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

To me you are opening something that may make people psychologically turn away from the REAL world and want to stay living in an UNREAL world......What's to say well why not take it a step further and show the daughter growing up....becoming an adult, getting married, having children all done in a make-believe-atmosphere.....The ramifications are SCARY as it could cause society to take a step away from actual reality!!!! ..............

@Spurt   The question is WHAT IS ACTUAL REALITY?

Think about it....No one really knows...it is the secret of the universe...

It is  the same question we ask ourselves....what happens when we die...

a different reality...?  Nothing? Heaven? Hell? Other dimensions?  

we do not know what reality is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

To me you are opening something that may make people psychologically turn away from the REAL world and want to stay living in an UNREAL world......What's to say well why not take it a step further and show the daughter growing up....becoming an adult, getting married, having children all done in a make-believe-atmosphere.....The ramifications are SCARY as it could cause society to take a step away from actual reality!!!! ..............

@SeaMaiden 

To me reality is breathing, living, reacting, and doing in our flesh and bones as they exist rather than a world that is superimposed using technology to create the "make believe" which to me is the opposite of reality......JMHO....Im not getting involved in a philosophical discussion "what is life".....that would bring in and incorporate religion which is a "no-no" here on the Forums....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden   Insightful and thought provoking questions that I have reflected/researched for decades of my life.  Enjoy conversations with select people who have done the same... never on a forum board.  

Regarding your original post:  no, I do not believe this method is theraputic.  Technology is limiting...and artificial.  We could have  a profound discussion regarding "reality", but again, this is not the appropriate place and requires particular experiential knowledge.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Honored Contributor

If I need to feel close to loved ones who have passed, the net is the last place I would be looking..I am not interested in virtual anything

Valued Contributor

It’s kind of like the people who clone their pets. It’s not the same and feels like you’re not coping with loss/life.

JMHO of course.
Respected Contributor

No I don't think it would be "healing" but would inspire more pain and grief.  BUT it is up to this mother what is best for her to do...I am just saying for myself I do not feel it would be a good thing.

I only clicked on the link and saw the imagine....I had no desire to look any further that was enough.

Just the other night I was looking at a fun video (animals) on youtube...when I went back to the home page feed a video with a dog that looked like my Maggie was there....I had to click it LOL...I enjoyed watching it...she was a tri color and the dog in the video was a black and tan (cavalier spaniels) so not a exact match but still...my heart warmed...and it was so enjoyable to watch...the silliness of the playing with this puppy.

That video didn't stir up pain but just plain fun and happiness.  Doing something with a child wearing virtual reality would be so painful....I can't imagine that being a good idea.  

Trusted Contributor

We also lost our precious 33 yr old son nine years ago to cancer.  For me, I would not do the virtual reality.  
@MalteseMomma wrote:

The film was nice and if it made mom feel better good...

i have lost a beautiful son,but I'm not sure I'd like this.

I do admit I love when a friend posts a picture or memory on FB ,but maybe this feels a bit different to me..............

Honored Contributor

Re: Touching....or just too weird?o

@Spurt wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

To me reality is breathing, living, reacting, and doing in our flesh and bones as they exist rather than a world that is superimposed using technology to create the "make believe" which to me is the opposite of reality......JMHO....Im not getting involved in a philosophical discussion "what is life".....that would bring in and incorporate religion which is a "no-no" here on the Forums....

@Spurt   But maybe....it is not make believe as you call it.....

Honored Contributor

I find that not realistic and it would not help me grieving the loss of a loved one, but if it helps others, go for it. I think maybe this woman needs someone to talk too about the death of her daughter. Many times people will not bring up the death of a loved one because they are afraid of upsetting someone. I know that happened when my brother died and I felt like he was forgotten , we kids never really got over his death.