Esteemed Contributor

Re: Touch Free Tool for opening doors

@sunshine45 wrote:

@vsm wrote:

If you really feel the need to use this tool, please don't use it on touch screens, which it can scratch and damage.

have no fear, they are making covid keys with a stylus now. NEW and IMPROVED already! Smiley Wink

covid key with stylus.jpg

Is that a bottle opener they added to this model???   Makes your head explode.

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz, thanks for posting this - I think it's a great idea. I've always hated touching door handles, not just because of Covid, but because we all know door handles are full of germs. I don't always have an extra tissue in my purse to open a door, and it sure wouldn't be difficult to wipe this handy little tool off with an antibacterial wipe that I keep in my car or to wipe off when I get home.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

On the " Dubrow" Pandemic" channel, he was selling 2 for $50 I think--its made from some metal that fends off those nasty germs------found the same thing on AMZ --2/$10. Same miracluous metal and all!!!!!!

@wagirl, good grief. Nothing like exploiting a crisis.

If stuff like this makes people feel more comfortable, go for it. Personally, I've never been that concerned with germs in general. I am, though, almost always in compliance with what real health officials recommend -- distancing, masks, and washing hands.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@vsm wrote:

If you really feel the need to use this tool, please don't use it on touch screens, which it can scratch and damage.

have no fear, they are making covid keys with a stylus now. NEW and IMPROVED already! Smiley Wink

covid key with stylus.jpg

Darn it -- I knew I should've patented "my" idea when it occurred to me as I was about  to use the thingie at an ATM!  Laurie Greiner's probably already working on a thingie slot for her phone sanitizer ("the perfect stocking stuffer!")...

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Okay, so that thing gets germs on it, and then you put it in your purse or pocket, therefore, transferring the germs.

It's a gimmick to make a buck off of the pandemic.

Just use a tissue to open the door or touch something, then throw the tissue away.

Besides, it won't work on round doorknobs, and I heard that it won't work on all touch screens.

Save your money.

I have one of these. 

a couple of things.

The ones made of certain metals actually make the virus die sooner than other surfaces. 

You don't put them in your pocket or purse, you hook it to the outside of your purse or your key ring. 

I've had mixed results with it. It doesn't work on touch screens well, but does for a more traditional key pad. It grabs the doors of things like the frozen food cases in the grocery, and other doors with similar handles. 

I sanitize my keys, my hands, and this thing every time I get back in the car, and I'm not using up a ton of tissues, and where are you going to dispose of the tissues in public? Wadding them up and putting them in your purse or pocket isn't any more sanitary. 

It's like everything else, it has it's value to some people in some circumstances, it's not perfect. 

Many are made in America, so supporting local jobs and industry. 

Worth a try for people who think it through and consider all the the things they touch/grab, and look to reduce, not eliminate all contact and danger from bacteria and viruses. Not everything can be an all or nothing, but this, like so much else we are doing during this virus, just helps reduce the risk of contact/contracting.

I guess I'm not getting it.  When I get gas, I sanitize my hands.  When I'm done grocery shopping, I sanitize my hands.  When I go to the bank, whether I use the ATM or go to a drive-thru teller, I sanitize my hands.  You are already sanitizing your hands, as you should so this is just yet another thing to sanitize.  I don't get how it helps you with anything.   

@Lipstickdiva 

The head of the the health department in Ohio at the beginning of this event (Dr. Amy Acton not sure if last name is spelled right) had a saying and a theory that I have lived by during and even before this virus. 

According to her, we should have a multi layered, swiss cheese approach to protecting ourselves from the virus.

A face mask alone might not be  enough.

Washing your hands alone might not be enough.

Social distancing alone might not be enough 

Keeping your hands out of your face, mouth nose, eyes alone might not be enough.

A vaccine alone, might not be enough.

Every one of these precautions has holes

But if we layer all these (and other) precautions, one on top of another, we increase our chances of protection and reduce our chances of getting the virus. 

So if I use a tool like this to grab a door, use a key pad, punch an elevator key (done that quite often), that is that many times in one trip into some building, that I didn't make actual hand contact with possibly contaminated surfaces. It could be many minutes or even hours between times I can wash my hands or use sanitizer. In that time, we all risk virus or bacteria on our hands, getting in or near an entry to our body. 

So it's just another layer of protection. It can be several more surfaces in each stop of my day, that I"m not actually touching with my skin.

I'm not calling it a critical one (layer), but for people to wholly dismiss it for everyone's circumstance shows a lack of understanding of how important a multi layered approach is to prevention. 

I guess the way I see it, if there is a tool that keeps me from directly touching even a few surfaces in public places, I'll add it to the other layers I'm practicing. And since I'm going through a sanitizing ritual every time I get back in my car theses days, wiping this off with a disinfecting wipe while I do the other things I listed, really isn't a big deal. It's just become a routine that is quick and easy, and honestly even after (if ) this virus is ever gone or 'controlled', I will continue many of the practices I have established for sanitizing throughout the day. It will help protect me from other bacterial and viral infections and as we age especially, that is never a bad idea.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

On the " Dubrow" Pandemic" channel, he was selling 2 for $50 I think--its made from some metal that fends off those nasty germs------found the same thing on AMZ --2/$10. Same miracluous metal and all!!!!!!

@wagirl, good grief. Nothing like exploiting a crisis.

If stuff like this makes people feel more comfortable, go for it. Personally, I've never been that concerned with germs in general. I am, though, almost always in compliance with what real health officials recommend -- distancing, masks, and washing hands.

How condescending. 

"Real Health officials" will tell you all about the benefits of not  making physical hand contact with surfaces that are/might be contaminated with bacteria and viruses, as part of a safety regime. 

All you mask mandaters that don't get the benefit of another layer of protection? Hmmm....

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I am not concerned about picking up coronavirus on surfaces. I'm concerned about getting it through the air. That awkward tool is just a germ concentrator.

@noodleann 

Why aren't you concerned about picking it up on surfaces?  The virus will make you sick (or kill you) no matter how you pick it up. . .

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio 

Well said !!!  Thank you.

As one poster said:  this toll will not help with a door "knob" handle.  But, almost every door where I enter a store, the handle is usually a vertical pull.  In the grocery store, the freezer doors are pulls.

When exiting most stores or offices or churches, there are sanitizers that I use.

As my posted picture shows, the tool is on a stretchable cord on the " outside " of my purse.  When I get back to my car, the purse gets a swipe with a sanitizing cloth--as does the tool.

I like what another poster noted about using tissues every time you touch a door: exactly where do you put the used tissue?  In your purse to contaminate every thing inside just in case there is no trash can immediately available ?

Will be finding a "tip" to place over the tip of the tool so it doesn't scratch any keypads !

The concept of layers of protection is perfect for where we are now.  It is important to think through each action for its ramifications.  That is how we will get through this ordeal.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Covid key. I live in a high rise so I push the elevator buttons with it. The metal is supposed to deactivate or kill some viruses but it does come in handy to open certain doors & in super markets. No it’s not perfect but I don’t like using my fingertips and I have trained myself a long time ago to use my elbows and knuckles for certain activities. It’s no big deal for me to sanitize it with my keys, glasses and phone in a UVC box. I carry sanitizer with me all of the time for hands and and alcohol in a spray bottle. I’d rather not use tissues. It’s just personal preference not a right or wrong thing.
Esteemed Contributor

The virus can live on certain surfaces for a long time. Yes it’s a respiratory virus so in a gym someone sneezes or huffs and puffs, the virus lands on a surface. You come along and hold the hand grasp and then adjust your glasses or blow your nose. You can contract the disease. This is why there are strict protocols in gyms sanitizing shared equipment before and after use