Respected Contributor

Re: Touch Free Tool for opening doors

Many, many businesses leave the door hanging open anyway.  Just a good reason to shop there.  Even the P.O. does this.Carry hand sanitizer in your purse so you can sanitize if you get stuck opening a door or pushing an elevator button. 

Honored Contributor

Using a key fob thingy does not make much sense. An infected person without a mask on is going to contaminate surfaces, sure. But their spit or mucus that you picked up on your key fob would then get all over the inside of your purse. Apparently Covid can live on copper for 4 hours. And it lives on plastic and stainless steel up to 3 days. They didn't research how long it lives on fabric like the lining of a purse.

Non mask wearing people breathing on you is the much greater threat. But it's smart to avoid the surfaces they contaminate as well. Just stay away from anything diseased and take care to avoid introducing their disease into your body in any way.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio As usual, I applaud your reasonable and balanced point of view. I recall learning that gas pumps are among the dirtiest surfaces we touh, and I got one of these gizmos for that and similar handles and buttons. It doesn't go in my purse at all, and in the car it hangs from a knob until I need it, by which time any virun on it will have died. Not necessary, but for a few bucks, handy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Okay, so that thing gets germs on it, and then you put it in your purse or pocket, therefore, transferring the germs.

It's a gimmick to make a buck off of the pandemic.

Just use a tissue to open the door or touch something, then throw the tissue away.

Besides, it won't work on round doorknobs, and I heard that it won't work on all touch screens.

Save your money.

I have one of these. 

a couple of things.

The ones made of certain metals actually make the virus die sooner than other surfaces. 

You don't put them in your pocket or purse, you hook it to the outside of your purse or your key ring. 

I've had mixed results with it. It doesn't work on touch screens well, but does for a more traditional key pad. It grabs the doors of things like the frozen food cases in the grocery, and other doors with similar handles. 

I sanitize my keys, my hands, and this thing every time I get back in the car, and I'm not using up a ton of tissues, and where are you going to dispose of the tissues in public? Wadding them up and putting them in your purse or pocket isn't any more sanitary. 

It's like everything else, it has it's value to some people in some circumstances, it's not perfect. 

Many are made in America, so supporting local jobs and industry. 

Worth a try for people who think it through and consider all the the things they touch/grab, and look to reduce, not eliminate all contact and danger from bacteria and viruses. Not everything can be an all or nothing, but this, like so much else we are doing during this virus, just helps reduce the risk of contact/contracting.

I guess I'm not getting it.  When I get gas, I sanitize my hands.  When I'm done grocery shopping, I sanitize my hands.  When I go to the bank, whether I use the ATM or go to a drive-thru teller, I sanitize my hands.  You are already sanitizing your hands, as you should so this is just yet another thing to sanitize.  I don't get how it helps you with anything.   

Honored Contributor

@jlkz 

If I were out and about? I think I would stick with my washable gloves. Bought a pack of 12 for about that price.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Carefirst, my moms secondary insurance sent her one of these COVID keys in the mail, along with a mask.

they are sold pretty much everywhere now. i have gotten a few for free from retailers.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

If you really feel the need to use this tool, please don't use it on touch screens, which it can scratch and damage.

have no fear, they are making covid keys with a stylus now. NEW and IMPROVED already! Smiley Wink

covid key with stylus.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@vsm wrote:

If you really feel the need to use this tool, please don't use it on touch screens, which it can scratch and damage.

have no fear, they are making covid keys with a stylus now. NEW and IMPROVED already! Smiley Wink

covid key with stylus.jpg

That's going to be one of those items that stumps the experts on Antiques Road Show in 50 years. "We found this in a trunk in the attic..."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Deb0509 

it's old.....a Stone Mountain !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

On the " Dubrow" Pandemic" channel, he was selling 2 for $50 I think--its made from some metal that fends off those nasty germs------found the same thing on AMZ --2/$10. Same miracluous metal and all!!!!!!