Respected Contributor

Re: Touch Free Tool for opening doors

@software wrote:

I'm not sure door knobs or handles are a major way to spread Covid 19

Unless of course you touch your eyes, face, etc.

I don't go very many places where I need to touch a door, most push out or are automatic.    I'd rather wear a glove or have a tissue or wipe handy.  I try to use hand sanitizer sparingly to save my skin.

I know it would be considered a "weapon" at my local courthouse.

Actually, door knobs and handles ARE a major way to spread COVID - at least at our workplace that is what we are told, and we have to wipe down ALL surfaces every 3 hours, and door handles, hand rails,   and door frames every hour...

Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@software wrote:

I don't go very many places where I need to touch a door, most push out or are automatic.    I'd rather wear a glove or have a tissue or wipe handy.  I try to use hand sanitizer sparingly to save my skin.

Actually, door knobs and handles ARE a major way to spread COVID - at least at our workplace that is what we are told, and we have to wipe down ALL surfaces every 3 hours, and door handles, hand rails,   and door frames every hour...

It's been known for a long time that door knobs and handles are a source of certain germs, but I thought the CDC said that COVID doesn't live on surfaces. So if that's true, COVID cannot be spread that way since it's an airborne virus. So which is it? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@software wrote:

It's been known for a long time that door knobs and handles are a source of certain germs, but I thought the CDC said that COVID doesn't live on surfaces. So if that's true, COVID cannot be spread that way since it's an airborne virus. So which is it? 

I am more worried about airborne than anything else, like someone running or biking without a mask and the aerosolization of their fluids from lungs 

wash your hands or sanitize and don't touch your body before doing so 

Honored Contributor

A version of those are offered here at QVC, read the reviews, not so great.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I just have a roll of paper towels in each car along with the other necessities.......I take a paper towel and use for all door handles when I am out keeping the "dirty" side folded in.

When I come home it goes in the trash, simple as that.   Who knows if this virus lives on the door handles or not, either way they have everyone's germs on them from all who touched it before you.

Honored Contributor

This is one of those things that if people stop and think about, they would realize how ridiculous it is.  

Esteemed Contributor

Looks like just one more thing to get dirty.  Once I close the garage door I just accept that my hands are dirty.  For sure I wouldn't put thing near my purse.

Honored Contributor

i bought one from Amazon and found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Okay, so that thing gets germs on it, and then you put it in your purse or pocket, therefore, transferring the germs.

It's a gimmick to make a buck off of the pandemic.

Just use a tissue to open the door or touch something, then throw the tissue away.

Besides, it won't work on round doorknobs, and I heard that it won't work on all touch screens.

Save your money.

I have one of these. 

a couple of things.

The ones made of certain metals actually make the virus die sooner than other surfaces. 

You don't put them in your pocket or purse, you hook it to the outside of your purse or your key ring. 

I've had mixed results with it. It doesn't work on touch screens well, but does for a more traditional key pad. It grabs the doors of things like the frozen food cases in the grocery, and other doors with similar handles. 

I sanitize my keys, my hands, and this thing every time I get back in the car, and I'm not using up a ton of tissues, and where are you going to dispose of the tissues in public? Wadding them up and putting them in your purse or pocket isn't any more sanitary. 

It's like everything else, it has it's value to some people in some circumstances, it's not perfect. 

Many are made in America, so supporting local jobs and industry. 

Worth a try for people who think it through and consider all the the things they touch/grab, and look to reduce, not eliminate all contact and danger from bacteria and viruses. Not everything can be an all or nothing, but this, like so much else we are doing during this virus, just helps reduce the risk of contact/contracting.

Respected Contributor

If you really feel the need to use this tool, please don't use it on touch screens, which it can scratch and damage.