Trusted Contributor

Tortillas from a "pod" machine?!

<h1>Flatev gives tortillas the pod treatment</h1>

By Ben Coxworth

From GizMag.com:

The Flatev makes fresh-baked tortillas from individual dough pods

Users start by inserting a K-Cup-like pod, that contains a ball of tortilla dough – Ruiz plans on offering choices of flour, corn and blue corn. After the user presses a button, the machine then breaks the pod open, presses the dough flat, cooks it, then deposits it in a tray at the bottom. The whole process reportedly takes less than one minute.

The pods have to be kept refrigerated, and should sell for less than a dollar each. Down the road, plans call for other types of flatbreads to be available, such as roti, chapati and naan.

The Flatev ("Flatbread Evolution") machine itself should cost under $300, although it isn't expected to be ready for retail until 2015.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tortillas from a ""pod"" machine?!

Seems a little expensive and over the top for tortillas...

Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 brii said:

Seems a little expensive and over the top for tortillas...

I was thinking the same thing.

Respected Contributor

I like that some people think outside the box. Who knows if this will ever really catch on, but if it does, I'm sure the price will go way down.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

Considering I thought the idea of a single serving coffee makers like Tassimo and Keurig were ridiculous, it will be interesting to see how this one takes off. I have owned two Tassimo makers and currently have the Keurig.

Nothing tastes better than a fresh tortilla.....

Honored Contributor

Wow....that's amazing. Yes, it's expensive...who remembers their first TV?...but if it catches on, the price point will lower. It's really no different than a bread machine..ish. Cool.

Trusted Contributor

If the price comes waaaaaay down, and if reports of good quality tortillas come along, I'd consider getting one. Hubby is of Mexican descent and he loves tortillas!
Honored Contributor

We have a lot of excellent tortillas available at the market. I wouldn't want to store the machine.
Honored Contributor

Those are mini tortillas! They'd be nice for appetizers, but for meals, I like the 8 inch size or bigger.