Esteemed Contributor

Are TV weather forecasters so anxious to be breathless that they are confusing tornado watches and warnings?  I don’t know the last time I heard “watch” but it seems there have been warnings three out of the last four weeks. 

There are specific definitions for each and I think the “warning” is being misused. 

If if they keep saying warning when watch is more appropriate, people will start ignoring them. And that won’t be good. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Re: Tornado watch vs. warning

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

Are TV weather forecasters so anxious to be breathless that they are confusing tornado watches and warnings?  I don’t know the last time I heard “watch” but it seems there have been warnings three out of the last four weeks. 

There are specific definitions for each and I think the “warning” is being misused. 

If if they keep saying warning when watch is more appropriate, people will start ignoring them. And that won’t be good. 

Personally, I think it's disgraceful when they do that. Watches and warnings are only issued by the National Weather Service and aren't subject to being ramped up by local stations. Of course, it's usually followed by an exortation to stay tuned to that channel.  Our local NBC affiliate got in hot water a few years ago during a potentially severe weather event. They were having station employees call in to the weather lines that would ring on-air, to make it appear that there were far more reports of severe weather than there actually were. I'm not sure exactly how they got caught, but I know they got a pretty hefty fine from the FCC. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

What area do you live in?

I live in a large metroplex....and never have I heard a

weather station ‘misuse; or confuse watch vs warning.  

It’s pretty clear what a warning is.

Honored Contributor

I've never had that happen. The warnings are issued by the national weather service and then the local channels alert the areas it covers.

They can specifically see the parts of each county and what time it may hit.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I for one, keep getting them mixed up.  To me a warning is "take cover, here it comes" and a watch is "keep on the watch conditions are right for something to develop"  I still can't seem to keep in my head which is which, I think I have it the opposite of what it is.

In my mind they shouldn't both begin with a "w".......

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

I for one, keep getting them mixed up.  To me a warning is "take cover, here it comes" and a watch is "keep on the watch conditions are right for something to develop"  I still can't seem to keep in my head which is which, I think I have it the opposite of what it is.

In my mind they shouldn't both begin with a "w".......

You have it right. 

A watch means conditions are right for the development of severe weather conditions of some kind.

A warning means it's actually happening. Some warnings, such as blizzard or hurricane, will have longer lead times. Even days in advance. Tornado or severe thunderstorms are immediate. 

Specifically to tornadoes, a watch typically lasts several hours. A warning is usually less than an hour. So if someone says "we have a tornado warning until midnight!" and it's only 7 PM, it's a watch, not a warning. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

A tornado watch means, as another poster said, that conditions are right for development sometime in the time frame listed and the area covered.  A warning means take cover a tornado is very possible in your area.

A tornado warning means that a circulation is seen on radar and sometimes is also confirmed by spotters, people trained on what to look for and sent to monitor the storm visually.  Many times tv stations use them to confirm what the radar is showing. 

The National Weather Service does issue warnings, but sometimes tv stations will issue their own as well.  A gap of a minute or two in issuing the warning can save lives.  

The thunderstorms begin to rotate when the conditions are right.  And when the rotation is strong enough and the right distance from the ground, as the mesocyclone rotates, tornadoes can dip down at any moment.  They may spin up and dissipate suddenly, hit the ground and then dissipate.  You never know and it can happen VERY quickly.

Some stay on the ground for 30 miles or an hour, sometimes a tornado drops down for 3 minutes, and the storm goes for 40 miles on without ever producing another but could at any moment.  

The one thing sure is that people who don't pay attention to the weather in states like Oklahoma die sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

The channel I watch for the weather always seems to be quite careful with their watch and warning messages.  They often accurately predict right down to the street name just when a storm might begin.   

Just recently the local paper ran a good discussion of the pros and cons of a possible new way to deliver hurricane info.  Just getting people in the path of BOTH the wind and the flooding that does even more damage is a huge challenge.  Tornadoes?  I know so little about them, I can't even justify having a personal opinion of how they should/could be reported.  Seems as if I hear about them after the fact, but I don't live in much of a tornado territory.

Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I've never had that happen. The warnings are issued by the national weather service and then the local channels alert the areas it covers.

They can specifically see the parts of each county and what time it may hit.

Our local weather reporters do the same thing you described @on the bay.

The alerts are from NOAA.

Esteemed Contributor

Last night, well after the commercial networks (affiliates) went full time with weather and tornado warnings, the PBS station ran the banner with a warning issued by the national weather service. 

It seems lately when there is a “thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado” they (affiliates) issue a warning. No sign or reports from spotters...just a storm capable etc. 

Were they overreacting?

Keepin' it real.