Respected Contributor

Re: Top 10 baby names for 2021

My opinion of a name comes from the person who has it. 

I have never met a Sandra or Sandy I liked.  I liked almost all the names on that list.   My MIL wanted me to name my daughter Olivia but that was not a name I would have picked 40 + years ago but now I like it. 

Honored Contributor

The one name that I do not like for a girl is Harper -- the rest of the names are fine.  Theodore is my father's name, named after his father and my brother and his son.  I am not that crazy about the name but it was popular in the time period he was born.  I like Landon for a boy and Evan not on the list.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@PJinIA wrote:

Naming a little girl Evelyn is just cruel!!   No offense to anyone here named Evelyn....it was a fine name back in the day but hey, not today! Smiley Happy

My granddaughters have more old school names.  Their friends, who are sisters, also have old school names and one of them is Evelyn.  I think certain new parents are trying to get away from the trendy names and going for the old school names now while another set are going for gender neutral so when the child decides which they are they don't have to change their name.  I truthfully know of a couple of new parents who went that route for that reason.

I didn't write this with serious intent to offend anyone.  It was meant to be a lighthearted post but obviously I failed at that.  I personally don't care what anyone names their kid...case in point, my niece named her baby girl Zelda and it's ok by me!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Some names are outdated. When I was at school the popular names for girls were Martha, Rosemary, Yolanda and Sandra. I don't see anyone recently with these names.
Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@Sooner :  non-trendy Charlotte is on the list, a name i've always liked.

When I was in catholic grammar school every other girl was Mary and the others were Charlotte....everything old is new again.

@candyagain Ha! I was one of those every other girls named Mary in Catholic grade school. 

Nice to meet ya! My grandmother was also a Mary so I love the name. I remember a "scandal" in my catholic high school when there was a student named Karen.....NOT a saint's name.........Woman SurprisedWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@PJinIA What a silly thing to say! Evelyn is a perfectly nice name. The wife of someone I worked for years ago had that name and had us all call her Evie (short "e"). She was thoughtful of all of us and we all liked her tremendously.

Contributor

I had a sister named Evelyn and I think she never liked her name, also one named Agnes and Linda.  Agnes hates her name and prefers to be called Aggie.  In my time, states names were popular, Georgia and Virginia.  My spouse always said when we had our son, he needed good Initials and a fine name.  Nothing sing song or rhyming with the last name.  Good initials looked good on dress shirt pocket or cuffs or cuff links.  Ha, now days hardly any one wears starched shirts and suits.  My retired spouse has a closet full or suits and I am glad I don't have to Iron or touch up shirts for business trips. My dear adult son with the great name and initials has never had a need for cuff links or monograming.  Smart guy! 

Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

??????

It's 2022

Okay? Why the post?

Esteemed Contributor

I like Olivia, Emma, Ava & Noah. That's all.