Super Contributor

Re: Top 10 baby names for 2021

aka Debbie or a version there of?  @Sooner 

Esteemed Contributor

I almost named my daughter Lisa.  That's a name from a certain time.  Glad I didn't.  I named her Sara, (no H) it's timeless I think.  

I grew up with Debbies and Lindas and Cindys.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@Sooner :  non-trendy Charlotte is on the list, a name i've always liked.

When I was in catholic grammar school every other girl was Mary and the others were Charlotte....everything old is new again.

Honored Contributor

From a life-long "name nerd"--   People who favor less common traditional names for children have to keep establishing new frontiers!

At least thirty-five years ago,  among my favorite boys' names were Oliver, Theodore, Henry,  considered musty by many, at least on this side of the Atlantic.   Over time, the so-called 'cognoscenti' started using them for their children, then people like actors and show people, and they've steadily gained popularity.

Name-lovers often reluctantly move on once there are just too many little Isabellas and Amelias on the landscape.

Nowadays, you have to name your child "Peregrine" or "Balthasar";   "Harriet", or "Augusta" if you want to give a more original traditional name.   And even some of them are upticking.  Of course, in Britain they are more well-used.

Names that become "dated" are a slightly different issue.  Name authorities have revealed that there is a secret to not giving a name that will be "dated".  It's to pick one of the traditional names that has been relatively well-used throughout history, but hasn't swung wildly in and out of favor for long.   "Elizabeth" could be one example--  popular through the centuries, sometimes used a bit less, but never disappearing.    

Contributor

We were ahead of the times as we named our second daughter Olivia in 1976, Now she has some company...what took so long?

Esteemed Contributor

When I got pregnant at 45 with my first and only child, a cute name was out of the question ( We have a nearly unprouncible Polish last name, so that's enough of a burden for a child).  DHs name is Paul and I'm Pat, so we quickly decided if it was a boy he would be Patrick Paul and if a girl, she would be Paula Patricia. Patrick Paul now has a son: Patrick Paul Jr. Timeless names have many advantages!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell :  I've always enjoyed UK names; well, most of them.

Esteemed Contributor

I would think the girls' name Harper comes from Harper Lee who wrote "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Go Set a Watchman".

Esteemed Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@Sooner :  non-trendy Charlotte is on the list, a name i've always liked.

When I was in catholic grammar school every other girl was Mary and the others were Charlotte....everything old is new again.

@candyagain Ha! I was one of those every other girls named Mary in Catholic grade school. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I love the name Henry. Don't have one in my family but love the name.