Honored Contributor

Top 10 baby names for 2021

[ Edited ]

Social Security Administration              May 6, 2022

Olivia and Liam Top Social Security’s Charts

Duo Remain America’s Most Popular Baby Names for 2021

Olivia and Liam are America’s most popular baby names in 2021.

Liam has been the top choice for new parents for five years in a row, and Olivia has topped the list for three years.

Once again, during this unprecedented time, parents chose to stick with familiar names.

Out of both Top 10 lists combined, only one name changed, with Theodore replacing Alexander in popularity.

The name Theodore joins the Top 10 list for the first time--welcome to the club “Theo".

Here are the top 10 boys and girls names for 2021:

Boys                Girls

1. Liam1. Olivia
2. Noah2. Emma
3. Oliver3.Charlotte
4. Elijah4. Amelia
5. James5. Ava
6. William6. Sophia
7. Benjamin7. Isabella
8. Lucas8. Mia
9. Henry9. Evelyn
10.Theodore10. Harper

Honored Contributor

Re: Top 10 baby names for 2021

Liam must be a good long steady boy's name.   My grandson was born in April 2018 and that is what my son and dil chose.  Granddaughter's name is not on the list.  My DDIL is a big Spiderman fan so she named her after Gwen Stacey, "Gwen."

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I'm kind of surprised at the boys names...Henry and Theodore? 

Honored Contributor

The girls names are a lot of trendy names that will date those girls 20 years from now.  Trust me.  I have one of those names from the olden days!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner :  non-trendy Charlotte is on the list, a name I've always liked.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting.  I think slots 9 and 10 are the worst ones.  I like most of the others even though my kids names are not on the list, LOL!   It's funny how the trend changes for naming babies.   You now have a lot of "made up" names rather than the traditional.

To me Evelyn, Theodore and Henry sound like old fashion names and Harper??  I've never even heard that one.  

Super Contributor

My three year old granddaughter has a little boy in her preschool class named Henry.  He's the cutest little thing and his name suits him.

Probably my generation but the name Theodore brings to mind Beaver Cleaver. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

Interesting.  I think slots 9 and 10 are the worst ones.  I like most of the others even though my kids names are not on the list, LOL!   It's funny how the trend changes for naming babies.   You now have a lot of "made up" names rather than the traditional.

To me Evelyn, Theodore and Henry sound like old fashion names and Harper??  I've never even heard that one.  

I believe Victoria Beckham named her fourth child Harper (middle name 7).  She finally got a girl after all those boys.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Social Security Administration              May 6, 2022

Olivia and Liam Top Social Security’s Charts

Duo Remain America’s Most Popular Baby Names for 2021

Olivia and Liam are America’s most popular baby names in 2021.

Liam has been the top choice for new parents for five years in a row, and Olivia has topped the list for three years.

Once again, during this unprecedented time, parents chose to stick with familiar names.

Out of both Top 10 lists combined, only one name changed, with Theodore replacing Alexander in popularity.

The name Theodore joins the Top 10 list for the first time--welcome to the club “Theo".

Here are the top 10 boys and girls names for 2021:

Boys                Girls

1. Liam1. Olivia
2. Noah2. Emma
3. Oliver3.Charlotte
4. Elijah4. Amelia
5. James5. Ava
6. William6. Sophia
7. Benjamin7. Isabella
8. Lucas8. Mia
9. Henry9. Evelyn
10.Theodore10. Harper

I think this is a good list of names.  The only ones I don't care for are Noah, Elijah, Benjamin and Harper.

Glad to see there are no Madisons, Mackenzies, Kaylas, or Brendan/Brandons (written with a slash because those poor kids must be forever correcting peoeple.)  

Regular Contributor

Naming a little girl Evelyn is just cruel!!   No offense to anyone here named Evelyn....it was a fine name back in the day but hey, not today! Smiley Happy