Respected Contributor

Too Old for International Travel?

One of the ladies in my water aerobics class asked my opinion was she too old to fly to London, U.K. on her own to spend time with some old friends living there.  She evidently was born in U.K. and really would like ‘one more visit’.  I met her at these classes and being from London she asked my advice.

When I asked her why the question she told me she is 81 y.o. and her children keep telling her she’s too old to make the trip.  I might add we all thought she was early 70’s as she is very active and together having no ongoing health problems.

Just wondered any thoughts about this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Too Old for International Travel?

I really don't know. It would depend on her health, and where she was going, I suppose. My mother would have never let any of us tell her ,she couldn't do something, unless we had a very good reson

Honored Contributor

If she wants to why not 

the thought of flying gives makes me totally nuts and I don’t fly anywhere 

Honored Contributor

At 69 with my medical condition I would be afraid to travel internationally. That being said, if I'm still alive at 81 I would go and not worry about it.

Honored Contributor

My friend who is in her mid 80s just returned from a 2 week trip to Greece where she has relatives.  She did go with her grandson who helped her navigate the airport terminals.  I would say if your friend is in good health, wants to go (most important) and has someone to take her to and meet her at the airport, she should GO!

My friend was very happy she went although she admits she probably wouldn't haven't done it without the help of her grandson.

Honored Contributor

Her kids are probably just worried. But she wants that trip and she should have it. She's active and in good health, now is the time for her to have her wish.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

My answer depends,somewhat, on where the starting point is?  If it’s from an east coast city, that’s not such a long trip.  

If from further away, can she pay for first class?   My mom traveled internationally at that age, but couldn’t tolerate being squeezed into economy for long trips.  First class made a big difference for her 

Honored Contributor

I agree, she should go.

Honored Contributor

Age is irrelevant. It comes down to health and finances.
Trusted Contributor

I don't think the answer has as much to do with age as it does with her capabilities.  Can she independently deal with airline computer kiosks to check in and get luggage tags?  Can she do the computer kiosks at customs with no help?  Can she get from gate to gate in the airport unassisted?

I was behind an elderly woman in a TSA line recently who was totally struggling with putting her items on the conveyor belt and going through the metal detector.  I felt so bad for her.   She kept trying to take my items out of my bin.  I finally had to say, "Nothing in here belongs to you."  She was overwhelmed and hadn't even left the airport yet.  I tried to help her, but she should not have been alone.

Suggest that she take someone with her like one of her children or grandchildren.