Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Too Old for International Travel?

The family may have valid concerns.  I totally agree someone from the family should go along if they are as concerned as they say.

Honored Contributor

If her children are telling her not to go, I'd say they have a lot more information and her interest at stake than we do.  I don't know, so I am not going to encourage it because I may be adding fuel to the fire in a not good way.  I don't know.

Not everyone gets to fulfill every wish they have--so I might be better off saying, stay home where you are safe, have fun here, enjoy life and don't worry your kids to death. 

I sometimes wonder if we aren't simply encouraging someone to a bad idea when caution should be the word of the day, just because it sounds like a good idea. 

Honored Contributor

I have friends that age who globe-trot

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Why not.  She should go. It is not like she is wandering around.  She has friends there and therefore she has a destination she can count on.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So much does depend on the health of the individual.  My Greek-born first cousin who is 79 flew out this past  Friday for what was at least nine hours of travel for her from the Midwest to Athens, Greece.  She is in stable health, so far as I know, plus she is flying to see her brother, a retired internist, and a nephew who is a prominent surgeon and part of a medical community.  So, she is "covered" medically.  In addition, in Greece, you continue to be a citizen and will be given medical care despite having an American citizenship.

At least it was that way in 2003 when I visited my father's homeland with my sons and one of them needed medical care in a hospital setting.  

My cousin will also be met at the airport and transferred to a family home.  All that helps.  When one has close relatives in the foreign land that is being visited, it is extremely helpful. 

It is good that your friend continues to have health coverage in the U.K.  That gives some relief and lessens anxiety, I would imagine.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner   I know her daughter and this subject came up.

I gathered from this conversation she and her husband went to London last year for a month and had her mother (my swimming friend) stay home to ‘watch the house and all the animals’ therefore they are not interested in going again or accompanying my friend  - kind of been there done that - there did not appear to be any other issues.

I think that is why she - my friend - was asking me about flying alone to U.K.

Honored Contributor

If she feels that her health and stamina are such that she can, then I think she should.  After all, this is her birth-place.

Not to be too blunt, but given the finite nature of life, why not fulfill a sincere desire as long as you’ve seriously considered the risks, and have your affairs in order?

Once a very close friend, who was 91 at the time, told me I was working too much, and that when I reached her age I would realize that regrets are usually more about what you didn’t do rather than what you did do.  She was an MD, so certainly considered health risks as well.  ~ Something to think about. 🤔 ~

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

It's more about your health and mental attitude.

She's familiar with the area, she has friends who can meet her.

The only time alone will be on the  plane & the flight attendants can answer any question she may have.

Personally, I would do it, I don't want to die on my sofa wishing the rest of my life away.

@dulwich wrote:

One of the ladies in my water aerobics class asked my opinion was she too old to fly to London, U.K. on her own to spend time with some old friends living there.  She evidently was born in U.K. and really would like ‘one more visit’.  I met her at these classes and being from London she asked my advice.

When I asked her why the question she told me she is 81 y.o. and her children keep telling her she’s too old to make the trip.  I might add we all thought she was early 70’s as she is very active and together having no ongoing health problems.

Just wondered any thoughts about this?

Respected Contributor

We were in Alaska last month, cruised from Seattle. Since we live on the east coast, it really was a big trip. DH and I agreed that, if possible, travel should be done when young. However, like many people we were busy raising a family and working. Major travel was not financially possible. Our first big trip together was when I was 52, DH was 53. It was a business trip for him, so the expense was just for me. BTW, we went to Japan. He had been there many times previously for business. Since that trip we’ve retired and have been to Italy 3x and Ireland once. We found each trip a bit more difficult than the previous one. Everyone is different, so traveling at advanced ages is fine for some, but not everyone. There is no specific age to give up traveling.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom, a heart patient, had no trouble flying to Europe, Italy, Greece and more well into her early 80's. She also spent her winters in her condo in FL until being diagnosed with dementia.

At that time I sold her condo, the furnishings, the car she kept in Tampa, and brought some of her personal belongings back to Lincoln for her use. The rest was sent to Charities. 

We did vacation in my car for several years touring the US "one more time". 

Money screams; wealth whispers.